Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Touring with ES, 2010 Forester 2.5
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone in Canada had experience with their new car warranty claim being denied by Subaru Canada, due to the owner doing oil and fluid changes, etc ?

There seems to be lots of positive info here from US owners, as it seems the Magnussen Act is what allows this. I have no idea if there is such a law in Canada allowing owner service, and I suspect Subaru would do all they could to prevent this from happening.

I've been maintaining my own vehicles for over 50 yrs now, and quite enjoy the process. I've just sold a 2010 Forester that I did all the regular scheduled maintenance on for 8 yrs, and have now bought a new 2018 Outback that I hope to do all the required service as well. I would be sure to follow the Subaru maintenance guidelines, and keep careful record of all work done.

Just wondering what experiences Canadian owners have in this regard.

Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5 Limited w ES. Tungsten.
122 Posts
I am in same situation. New Canadian 2019 Outback.

What I find confusing, is that we were given two different documents describing required services. The one in the warranty booklet, and a second one provided by dealer that has less stringent maintenance schedule. Copies below.

The other unclear requirement, is the 10,000km or 6months frequency. We will mainly use our Outback during winter to head South. It will do, say 7000km in first 6 months. In second 6 months say another 3000. 10,000km would come up just before we head South for second time.

Not sure yet just what to do, but thinking I would have dealer do every other service at 12month intervals starting after first 6 months. Then do an oil/filter change myself 6 months after every dealer service. Question is whether or not this meets warranty requirements.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,205 Posts
I am not in Canada.... but I have read that the "Canadian Competition Act" may serve a similar purpose as the US 'Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act'

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the general consensus is to go with what Subaru says, not what the dealer wants. You may relocate at some point, and take the car to a different dealer for warranty work. Or an independent garage for your on going maintenance, in which case following the Subaru official guidelines will be what keeps your warranty valid. Seems a bit odd though, that the dealer requirements would be less than what Subaru specifies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Canadian Competition Act may be the legal "out" for doing my own maintenance, but would probably require a lawyer to read through it and give an opinion. I think my best approach is to contact Subaru Canada, and get it straight from the horses mouth, so to speak. Will be interesting to see what they have to say.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news !

The Canadian Competition Act may be the legal "out" for doing my own maintenance, but would probably require a lawyer to read through it and give an opinion. I think my best approach is to contact Subaru Canada, and get it straight from the horses mouth, so to speak. Will be interesting to see what they have to say.

So......I sent an email to Subaru Canada asking if my new car warranty would be compromised by doing my own fluid changes, providing I kept records of mileage, dates, and receipts. Here is their response :

"In terms of your maintenance schedule, as long as you have all the required proof of maintenance on your vehicle, your new car warranty will not be affected. Thank you for being part of the Subaru Family."

Now I can't wait to dig out the wrenches and get to work !

·
Registered
122 Posts
I should ask them my question. I will drive about 7k km in first 6 months, but probably only 2k km in second 6 months. According to time schedule, I need two services, but based on km driven just one in first year.

Then there is the discrepancy between the two service schedule documents provided with car. One document (Dealer) says AABAA and the Subaru one ABABA.

First service is free, so I will get it done after first 6 months at 7k km. I was thinking of doing second one myself at 9k km (just oil/filter) and then having dealer do third at 18 months, 16k km.

·
Registered
2017 Outback
239 Posts
I should ask them my question. I will drive about 7k km in first 6 months, but probably only 2k km in second 6 months. According to time schedule, I need two services, but based on km driven just one in first year.

Then there is the discrepancy between the two service schedule documents provided with car. One document (Dealer) says AABAA and the Subaru one ABABA.

First service is free, so I will get it done after first 6 months at 7k km. I was thinking of doing second one myself at 9k km (just oil/filter) and then having dealer do third at 18 months, 16k km.
You need a service every six months

·
Registered
122 Posts
You need a service every six months
We know that's what they say, but it doesn't make sense to base services on elapsed time rather than km driven. They are assuming a certain pattern of use that doesn't apply to everyone.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
329 Posts

Being in ontario we fall in the severe category so I guess the answer is going to be change oil every 6 months even if you don't do the 10k kms. Changing it a little after 6 months i.e. 7/8 months won't void warranty as I dont think most brands will be so anal in the event of an issue.
There are times when i have only 5-6k kms in 6 months and I end up changing it afetr around 7 months.

·
Registered
122 Posts
We actually put most of our km on while in Southern USA. But same maintenance schedules apply here.

What I was thinking about is:

1. A city dweller mainly uses urban transportation. Their car only gets used for weekend trips and even then, not very often. They may only drive say 5000km/yr. and 2500 every 6 months.

2. Another lives in suburbs and drives their car to work every day. They could very well do 20k km per year and 10k km every 6 months.

Quite different usage, but Subaru dictates that both cars need same number of services to maintain warranty??

Another question: Some models come prefilled with synthetic oil. Others, like 3.6 with conventional oil. Again, service frequencies are same. Other manufactures allow extended service intervals when synthetic oil is used.

I don't really have a problem with doing an oil change and filter every 6 months. But there does seem to be a lack of logic in what is required to maintain warranty.

Question for Canadian owners: Did your dealer provide a revised maintenance schedule when you bought your car? As mentioned earlier:
Then there is the discrepancy between the two service schedule documents provided with car. One document (Subaru Dealer) says AABAA and the original Subaru one ABABA.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Pearl Outback 3.6R Premier
182 Posts
I do my own oil changes and save the oil and filter receipts. I record the date and mileage on the receipts when I do the oil change. No warranty work on the Subaru yet, but never had an issue with other manufacturers.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I do my own oil changes and save the oil and filter receipts. I record the date and mileage on the receipts when I do the oil change. No warranty work on the Subaru yet, but never had an issue with other manufacturers.
I am going to make sure the oil and filter are changed every 6 months. It's easy enough to do those and keep records. Same with cabin filters, but can't see those being a warranty issue.

But the inspections are not as easy to document. Maybe keep a check list and check off the required inspections. Some,like diff levels, not so easy!

Then there is the brake service, which doesn't make sense to me - Remove, inspect and service front and rear brakes as well as parking brake.

I can see inspecting the brakes and lubing the sliding surfaces during wheel rotations, but REMOVE brakes? Could cause more harm than good.

Changing diff and transmission fluids at 5yrs probably best to have dealer do that unless a Subaru knowledgeable shop is available.

I am thinking of having dealer do every other service.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts