Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a prospective '18 OB buyer (current '11 OB owner) and always like to read over the owners manuals of cars I'm investigating. For our '11 model, I was able to download a single PDF that comprised the complete manual that comes with the car. But for the '18 models, what I get is a page with links to what appears to be every separate chapter in the main manual plus the extra manuals (Nav, etc.). This is almost unusable for downloading and reading on a tablet.

Vehicle Resources | Subaru of America

Does anyone have a link to a complete owners manual and the other manuals that come with the car? I guess I could download all the above and stitch them together in Acrobat, but that's also a lot of work!

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
336 Posts
tseven did that for the 17 (see sticky). otherwise, yeah it's a pain. Subaru needs to put together a pdf manual with a clickable toc and index. of course, that would cut this site's traffic in half.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,243 Posts
OK.. Who should pay for it. Let say add $$$$ to the sale price? That is why there is MYSubaru.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tseven did that for the 17 (see sticky). otherwise, yeah it's a pain. Subaru needs to put together a pdf manual with a clickable toc and index. of course, that would cut this site's traffic in half.
Hmmm... Looks like something for me to do over the weekend. :smile2:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I had actually already put them together myself, but great that you're supplying links here on the forum.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Limited with Eyesight
66 Posts
I tried getting onto Subarunet and it asked for a username and password. Hmm I used to be able to get on there to check for head unit updates. Is there another site or did they just upgrade their security?

Semper Fi

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,532 Posts
I was wondering if there are any repair manuals in PDF?
If you pay for 3-day access to the Subaru Technical Information System web site, $34.95 for 72 hours, you can (legally) download the entire set of Factory Service Manuals, Body Repair Manuals, all TSBs, Subaru technician training materials, and a whole lot more. The complete FSM comprises more than a thousand individual PDF files, but you can automate the download process using a relatively simple command shell script (Linux, Windows, or OS X/macOS). Search this forum for at least one entire thread devoted to the subject.

There are also bootleg (i.e. illegal) copies of the FSM floating around the Internet, but I won't say any more about that. $35 for the complete FSM is a bargain!

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,243 Posts
Shhhhhh! That's how I found mine. Shhhhh!

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 | Eyesight | Magnetite Grey
52 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 | Eyesight | Magnetite Grey
52 Posts
It **appears** as if Subaru has condensed the Service Manual into 1 PDF instead of the 1200 that I've been reading about! Can anyone confirm? This is what I'm looking at...

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium w/ power moonroof, dimming mirrors and power hatch. All weather package
364 Posts
I recall when I first started shopping/researching my 2017 OB purchase, I asked my dealer to send me a link to the user manuals. I don't so much as buy a $34 mp3 player or a new camera without first looking at the user manual. My local dealer sales person(s) (I burned through 4 of them because they didn't answer my questions) at Clay Subaru in Norwood Ma, never responded. It's as if they don't want you to have product knowledge before buying.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,292 Posts
I recall when I first started shopping/researching my 2017 OB purchase, I asked my dealer to send me a link to the user manuals. .... It's as if they don't want you to have product knowledge before buying.
Mostly it's a case of while we have access to all the owners manuals online - it's through our secure SubieNet. We don't have publicly accessible links to them.

So I can see them, I can download them to my own computer and I could put them on a USB stick for you, but I don't have a place to host them for public sharing.

And in the for what it's worth department, since your dealership is in Massachusetts, they're operating under SNE and it's possible (I truly don't know) that the sales staff at the dealership may NOT even have the access to stuff that the rest of the country does.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium w/ power moonroof, dimming mirrors and power hatch. All weather package
364 Posts
Mostly it's a case of while we have access to all the owners manuals online - it's through our secure SubieNet. We don't have publicly accessible links to them.

So I can see them, I can download them to my own computer and I could put them on a USB stick for you, but I don't have a place to host them for public sharing.

And in the for what it's worth department, since your dealership is in Massachusetts, they're operating under SNE and it's possible (I truly don't know) that the sales staff at the dealership may NOT even have the access to stuff that the rest of the country does.
Thanks. I did finally find them for download somewhere while i was still reseaching but no help from the dealer.

SNE? All iI know is that Subaru of New Englandis the distributor.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,292 Posts
Thanks. I did finally find them for download somewhere while i was still reseaching but no help from the dealer.

SNE? All I know is that Subaru of New England is the distributor.
SNE - Subaru of New England
SDC - Subaru Distributors Corporation
SOA - Subaru of America

At our dealership (and in most of the country), we deal directly with SOA. That means we're able, for example, to access SubieNet (which is what I call it) at the dealership and even the salesman level and order cars, check CSI, and interact directly with SOA. In areas where SNE and SDC does the distribution - well, I honestly don't know how things work at the dealership level, but I know there's a lot of stuff that we can do that they can't.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Subaru of New England seems a total unnecessary layer. Not owned by Subaru it controls sales across New England. It sure is unclear what purpose it serves. It's owned by crackpot Ernie Bock Jr. and would probably be best if it just went away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts