Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, folks.

I'm just getting my future daughter-in-law's '97 Outback emissions ready. This required a new front oxygen sensor, which wasn't a big job. Replaced the part and sent her on her way. The car got a whole half mile down the road before the tail caught on the transaxle and was ripped from connector, never to be seen again.

This leaves two questions. I don't have the service manuals for this car - does anyone have a manufacturer's part number for the connect at the engine side? The original remained attached to the oxygen sensor tail but pulled the blades cleanly from the plug, so if I can find a part number for the male end I can make the repair with no cutting or soldering.

Second, it's not at all clear how I'm supposed to route the tail when I replace the part again. If I thread it up between the frame and transaxle, there's very little room and nothing to tie it to that makes me confidant this won't happen again. If I run it down and under the frame then back up through the hole from which the break leads exit, it's shortened quite a bit and winds up being exposed as it runs under the frame.

Thanks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Junk yard would be best option if they haven't removed cat yet.
AFAIK this is not a dealer option as the sensors come assembled.
You can google for universals, as they always come with some connectors you have to wire in. May be able to find the connectors separately.
There should have been a small looped soft metal piece bolted to the block to hold in in place.
As long as the wire is passed in front of the axle, you can use almost anything to secure it.

O.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts