Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced original accessory belts on my friend’s 07 OB 2.5 SOHC. Car has 91k miles. The P/S belt was toast with most ribs gone. Do not have a clue how it was still working. Anyhow, installed new Bando and got a short screech on start. Increased tension and all seemed well but next day got a very short screech on cold start and quick turn in driveway. Also had steering chatter/shudder when making that first quick cold turn. Maybe I just need to increase belt tension but, considering how original belt was destroyed and chatter/shudder, do you think something else is going on? I forgot to hand turn p/s pulley and will do that later this week. Also, wonder if I need to replace o ring? Thanks for your advice.

PS I replaced p/s fluid at 60k miles with Subaru HP ATF. I use Mobil1 ATF in my Toyota’s with great results. Would the Subie like Mobil1 better than HP?

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
954 Posts
Unless you have a belt tension gauge, I'd be weary about over tightening the belt. I've always done it by feel. Sometimes the screech will go away after a week or two, sometimes you need to add a little more tension.

I would not replace the o ring unless it's leaking. Sometimes fooling around with those things may cause a leak. If it eventually does leak, it's a $3 fix and 10 minutes of time so no big deal.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
if there is an idler pulley ,maybe check its bearing.(not sure on that car's configuration)

If the o-ring is bad, you can see bubbles in the PS reservoir while idling - may need a helper to turn the wheel back and forth when the car is cold.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
A proper belt tension gauge is pricey ($100-125) but worth every penny in my experience. FWIW, the symptoms you're describing sound exactly like an under-tensioned belt. How do the pump, idler, & alternator bearings feel with no belt on?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A proper belt tension gauge is pricey ($100-125) but worth every penny in my experience. FWIW, the symptoms you're describing sound exactly like an under-tensioned belt. How do the pump, idler, & alternator bearings feel with no belt on?
Thanks for all replies. Pretty sure belt was undertensioned. No bubbles in ps reservoir, ps pulley spins freely. Before I adjusted, turning wheels lock to lock with car not moving was choppy. After adjustment, smooth. Used a tape to get about 3/8” midway on longest run. Pretty close to FSM spec. Alternator spins great too. No idler on this belt. Idler is on a/c belt.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
The belts usually need a re-tension after a few heat cycles since this is a manually-tensioned system. Less failure prone, but requires more attention.

And I've used both with no noticable difference between the two. I just have a good line on the Idemitsu HP fluid (Subaru HP ATF), so it's cheaper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts