Subaru Outback Forums banner

p0133 and weird symptoms

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mprosco91 
#1 ·
the 2.5 is acting up.

Sometimes it free revs and throws the CEL, othertimes it violently loses power and throws CEL. Both times its p0133. no flashing cel, so no misfire alerts.

In searching around, I gather this is a somewhat rare code, O2 sensor reading is too slow, the O2 sensor before the cat(bank one sensor one?). Failure seems age related by examples I've found online.

I grabbed my obdwiz scantool to try an see if it could catch a reading off the sensor, and it says it can, but I'm not sure I trust it.

Can someone tell me what the voltage reading should be? I've seen various examples of between .5 and .9 volts, but this obd tool says sensor 1 is showing 2.2 to 4.9 range...

or offer other things to check? Some things suggested a blocked cat too...

solution in thread

See less See more
#2 ·
o2 sensors do go bad from age/ use.

or they got some oil on them. good news. not expensive. and easy so long as the thing comes out. (front ones seem to last longer so they stick in more though).

my 2002 H4 had a p0130 code that got worse as time went by, here I used rom raider and posted some logs,.
..later cars used some more P013? type codes.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forum...89-p0130-2002-ej251-climbing-grades-fast.html

#5 ·
the 2.5 is acting up.

Sometimes it free revs and throws the CEL, othertimes it violently loses power and throws CEL. Both times its p0133. no flashing cel, so no misfire alerts.

In searching around, I gather this is a somewhat rare code, O2 sensor reading is too slow, the O2 sensor before the cat(bank one sensor one?). Failure seems age related by examples I've found online.

I grabbed my obdwiz scantool to try an see if it could catch a reading off the sensor, and it says it can, but I'm not sure I trust it.

Can someone tell me what the voltage reading should be? I've seen various examples of between .5 and .9 volts, but this obd tool says sensor 1 is showing 2.2 to 4.9 range...

or offer other things to check? Some things suggested a blocked cat too...
I agree with checking charging/battery as well just to be sure. However, the front "o2 sensor" is actually an air/fuel sensor. Essentially the same thing. However your .5-.9 seems pretty low. I was playing around with a new scanner I picked up the other day and my front o2 was around 1.5v. Air/fuel sensors have a wider range of voltage. Essentially a wide band o2.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#6 ·
add to thread title [solved] plz

post repair report:

mechanical damage to O2 sensor wire tail. Somehow the slack in the connecting wire drooped down until it cam in contact with the passenger driveaxle and rended through the rubber jackets. Cables were shorting to eachother.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.