Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I had a new short block and turbo installed last November and just this week I got a CEL with a code of P0224.

Since getting my car back from the dealership I noticed two things. One, that the car would shift abruptly sometimes especially from 3 to 4 and that a lot of times it felt like the car was pulling back as if it was applying the brake. Two, the engine would shake sometimes but not all the time, I couldn't replicate the shaking so I don't know whats causing it.

However, this last week I got the check engine code of P0244 and I feel like thats associated with something that they messed up on the turbo. Is that a possibility....this is what my OBD-2 sensor readings sent me. Does anything stand out to you? or is this normal readings across the board? Any help would be useful, I am trying to see if i need to hold the company that did the engine/turbo install accountable or just move forward and try to diagnose and fix the problem.

OBD-2 diagnostic info:

Calculated engine load: 100.0 %
Engine coolant temperature: 186.8 F
Short term fuel trim—Bank 1: 8.59 %
Long term fuel trim—Bank 1: -1.56 %
Intake manifold absolute pressure: 204 kPa
Engine RPM: 4702.5 rpm
Vehicle speed: 68.93 mph
Timing advance: 11.5 degrees
Intake air temperature: 73.4 F
MAF air flow rate: 187.09 g/s
Throttle position: 79.2 %
Oxygen Sensor 2 Voltage: 0.58 V
Oxygen Sensor 2 Short term fuel trim: -0.78 %
Run time since engine start: 197 s
Commanded evaporative purge: 0.0 %
Fuel Tank Level Input: 21.2 %
Evap. System Vapor Pressure: 78.75 Pa
Absolute Barometric Pressure: 101 kPa
Control module voltage: 13.984 V
Absolute load value: 94.9 %
Fuel–Air commanded equivalence ratio: 12374.9
Relative throttle position: 67.06 %
Ambient air temperature: 68.0 F
Absolute throttle position B: 83.92 %
Accelerator pedal position D: 55.29 %
Accelerator pedal position E: 56.08 %
Commanded throttle actuator: 100.0 %

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2008 Subaru Outback XT, 2.5 liter turbo engine H-4, I believe it's a 5eat transmission, at 130k miles. Sorry if the info sounds a little vague, i'm not an expert on cars.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,201 Posts
2008 Subaru Outback XT, 2.5 liter turbo engine H-4, I believe it's a 5eat transmission, at 130k miles. Sorry if the info sounds a little vague, i'm not an expert on cars.
moved to the 2005-2009 section where all turbo car question threads live.

and updated title adding XT to it, bringing more turbo owners to open the thread and look at it.

how did you come by the car? does it have maint. records.?
(you have purchased one of the most maint. intensive subarus ever).

when was the last time the special High performance trans fluid was changed, ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Arrrgghhh, yeah it seems like it's going to be a problem. It's been a pain in my ass so far since i had to replace the pump and turbo....to answer your question, I got this car from a toyota dealership and it didn't come with the maintenance records but i could check car fax on it. I glanced at it at the dealership but didn't get the copy but there was nothing that stood out when i glanced at it.

I have not replaced the trans fluid. My mechanic said that the color of the transmission fluid looks good and he said i didn't need to replace it. I am however a skeptic and I think that that may be a part of the problem.....I could take it to get flushed and run some high performance trans fluid in there.

·
Registered
2005 Legacy GT wagon 5MT Limited
320 Posts
Why do you "feel" that a TPS code is related to the turbo?

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,079 Posts
So a P0224 is for a faulty throttle position sensor. I don't know if that would make any of those other symptoms or not. The gas pedal is known on some to go bad, but I don't think the '08s did it as often.

What are you using to read your data? A single snapshot in time doesn't say much. If you are able to log data for a period of time, that would be better. Romraider is what I and a lot of the other XT owners use.

One thing I would try is when the car is cold, disconnect the battery for a few to reset the computer and then reconnect and start the car and let it idle until it is warmed up.

When there are intake air leaks, these cars want to puke and self destruct it seems. Check all the hose connections on the intake and the related items for missing or lose clamps or brittle hoses.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,201 Posts
when you say "back from the dealership" does that mean a toyota dealer?

without a subaru select monitor, ...rom raider ....or any knowledge of a subaru anything? (except the BRZ = Scion F86 )

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How does the rom raider work? Is it a device that I plug into the OBD-2 port? I used Fixd which is plugged into the OBD-2 port and that was the data it spit out when i got the check engine light.

It was P0244, sorry I typed it wrong but it was the Turbo/Super Charger Wastegate Solenoid 'A'. Would that cause the fluctuation in accelerating and decelerating? Is this something that should normally be replaced every so often? It's only been 5-6 months since i got the new turbo so it should be fine right?

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,079 Posts
Huh, ok, a P0244... I've been getting that while tuning. And I have an aftermarket solenoid, not the factory one.

Could it failing cause surging, absolutely. If it is sticking and not properly controlling the boost, then that can cause all sorts of problems.

My guess is that it has gummed up and isn't responding properly.

Romraider is just software, you need a laptop and a reader. A VAG-COM cable or maybe what you already have would work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay thats what I read would be the likely problem that the blow off valve is sticking. Is that something that I could check myself. I've had experience working on other components of a car but this is my first car with a turbo and I have no experience working on a turbo. Should I just take this to the shop or try to clean out the valve myself?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,201 Posts
fixed thread title.

RomRaider. free download to a windows laptop.

lets you read and log, with a $10 VAG cable,

or tune and upload with a $168 tactrix.

_____

but I strongly recommend you get this problem fixed, and trade it for a EZ30, or EZ36 powered subaru (those with six cylinders)
. = less hassle,

turbos are for people that can maintain them meticulously and then still love them when they cost $3000-$5000 more randomly. (and enthusiasts will love your car,...great running 07-09 XTs still command good money.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts