Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 Turbo
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had the P0301come back a couple times now. First changed the spark plugs. Now I changed the coil packs. I don't want to end up throwing parts at it. I bought a scanner and was trying to look at other things that might point me in the right direction. Vacuum is 18-21 at idle. It drops down on acceleration and if I really hit it the boost is about 9-12 psi. I ordered a new fuel injector for cylinder 1 only, just so I don't end up building a new car. I'll replace all the fuel injectors after Im running but for now I really just want to find the issue and resolve it. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,475 Posts
was there any oil on cyl 1's coil boot or plug body?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had my buddy's shop do the plugs so Im not sure on that. I did the coil packs and they were pretty clean. Checked ohms on the coil packs. Not sure what they should read but they all read about the same.

If I would have known better I would have done the plugs and coil packs at the same time. Not even sure how you can get old boots off of a plug without damaging it.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,988 Posts
When was the timing belt replaced last?
Is it full of oil?
Have you checked fuel pressure and flow? Since you have a scanner, what is the STFT doing off and in boost?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Timing belt was done at 178,000 miles. Im at 200,000. I have enough oil or do you mean is the timing belt full of oil?
I don't think I can see the STFT. Its a real basic scanner. Shows fault codes and logs, acceleration, vacuum/boost.

I just swapped fuel injectors (1 with 3) to see if that has anything to do with it. But I damaged a hose on my coolant fill tank. Its a little guy. Not even sure where to get these hoses. There's no parts for it on rock auto and my Haines book doesn't show all the little hoses.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,509 Posts
Most of the hoses/tubes are going to be dealer only. Luckily, they are not prohibitively expensive.

Before throwing more parts at it, check for compression and leak-down. At that mileage (and unknown full history), I'd put money on leaking valves, maybe even a burnt/cracked exhaust valve.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. Thank you.

Yea, Im definitely done throwing parts at it. The good thing is that the car was immaculate inside and out. New Turbo, radiator, hoses and everything new and clean. Someone took really good care of it.

Just to give a little more info (maybe I should have in the beginning). It was having somewhat of a rough idle and smelled like gas, at least during idle. The gas smell seemed to improve after coil packs but maybe placebo effect.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I swapped fuel injector 1 and 2 (easier ones to reach). I've taken it for a couple test drives and code hasn't come back yet. I fully expect it to since I didn't do any repair unless there was a loose connection on the fuel injector maybe. But why would it take several hours for the code to come back, does that help narrow it down? I did get it come back pretty quick one time when I really hit it hard and took it down the road. However, this time I've probably drive about 20 miles and I've hit it hard probably 10 times without the misfire code coming back....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts