Subaru Outback Forums banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
OK, so I am claiming victory. Day 19 or 20, I am not sure but the CEL seems to be gone. Thanks again to all who have helped and thanks to those that made this a sticky. I sure hope it helps others!

·
Premium Member
15,847 Posts
I replaced my ignition coil and wireset at 100K as preventative maintenance. The dealer parts guy said they install a lot of coils.
That may not be a good thing. They might be selling a lot of mis-diagnosed bad coils. I have worked on three Subarus in the tdck garage in the past 9 months. All changed coils for misfiring...and all had no direct change from the new coil. we found other problems that were the real issue.

I don't think it hurts you at all to do so. Like I your case. It is just money for peace of mind.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This thread should prove useful for anyone troubleshooting a misfire on their engine. I covered most of the likely causes but mine turned out to be poor quality wires. It s a good idea to stick with NGK or Subaru ignition products and don't overlook the possibility that new parts will fail. Eagleeye, thank you for your input. You kept me rechecking the basics and luckily it turned out to be a routine part that is normally changed. Thank you![/QUOTE]

Yes useful but unfortunately I didnt read it until after I installed my new plugs and wires.. I had the P0303 and .I used 7mm Durolast from Autozone ...(probably the same as your denso) and yes although they look and feel exsctly like the original packard wires you push them on as far as possible and you dont get the click...I had one pop off during the test drive and pushed it firmly back on, reset the check engine and so far so good but kicking myself a little they had the NGK's for only 10 bucks more...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

This is my first post. My apologies if I post this in the wrong thread.

I inspected a demo 2018 Subaru Outback 2.5 with 2500kms today at a dealer, practically a new car . The OBD2 scan returned a P0303 powertrain. 'cylinder 3 misfire'. I told the salesman about the fault code. He took the car to their service department and returned 10 minutes late after having it cleared. He told me that it was possibly due to the car being in storage for a long time. I subsequently rescanned but the code didn't appear.

I need some advice on whether this could be a big problem. Or if there is an explanation for some faults possibly due to the car not being driven regularly etc. ? To my untrained ears, I did not hear any unusual engine noise. There was no rough idling I can find. The engine appears to run smoothly
Thank you

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hi

I inspected a demo 2018 Subaru Outback 2.5 with 2500kms today at a dealer, practically a new car . The OBD2 scan returned a P0303 powertrain. 'cylinder 3 misfire'. I told the salesman about the fault code. He took the car to their service department and returned 10 minutes late after having it cleared. He told me that it was possibly due to the car being in storage for a long time. I subsequently rescanned but the code didn't appear.

I need some advice on whether this could be a big problem. Or if there is an explanation for some faults possibly due to the car not being driven regularly etc. ? To my untrained ears, I did not hear any unusual engine noise. There was no rough idling I can find. The engine appears to run smoothly
Thank you

Probably nothing to worry about. Could have almost run out of fuel one time in pre-delivery, it does happen from time to time when they are being driven around.

Seagrass

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
If there is a problem. it's still under under factory warranty and will have to be fixed by Subaru. And note, this is probably considered an emissions issue, so it's likely not the standard 3y /36k miles warranty, it could be as much as 10 years, depending on where you are located (and I'm guessing it's not the US, since you quoted km, not miles, on the odometer).

·
Registered
5 Posts
If there is a problem. it's still under under factory warranty and will have to be fixed by Subaru. And note, this is probably considered an emissions issue, so it's likely not the standard 3y /36k miles warranty, it could be as much as 10 years, depending on where you are located (and I'm guessing it's not the US, since you quoted km, not miles, on the odometer).
You correctly mentioned that I am not located in the US, I am in Australia. Yes it will be covered by warranty. I have decided to go ahead with the purchase. Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hi

Thank you

When I've looked at dealer demos the mark down price never seemed to make it a bargain to me, I went with new. I would pass on the car and buy new or another used.

·
Registered
627 Posts
HTML:
You correctly mentioned that I am not located in the US, I am in Australia. Yes it will be covered by warranty. I have decided to go ahead with the purchase. Thank you for your response.

There are a couple of recalls or maintenance issues with this model so make sure the dealer does them before you take delivery.

The fuel gauge cluster needs a software upgrade to make it read accurately (simple description) and the radio head units (that contains the reversing camera screen etc as well) also need a software upgrade to ensure they are stable (many reports about blacking out and then not being able to restart).

Where are you in Australia and which dealer are you purchasing from?

Seagrass

·
Registered
5 Posts
HTML:
There are a couple of recalls or maintenance issues with this model so make sure the dealer does them before you take delivery.

The fuel gauge cluster needs a software upgrade to make it read accurately (simple description) and the radio head units (that contains the reversing camera screen etc as well) also need a software upgrade to ensure they are stable (many reports about blacking out and then not being able to restart).

Where are you in Australia and which dealer are you purchasing from?

Seagrass
Seagrass, thanks so much for the information. I was aware of the recall but somehow it slipped my mind. Having read your post I did a search for the recall and crossed check the VIN, the car is affected. I have emailed the dealer, asking them about the status of the repairs.
I am in the state of Victoria. As far as I know Subaru Australia owns all the dealerships here.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts
About this Discussion
112 Replies
18 Participants
TapaTee
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing