Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

2000 outback 5mt here, I have solved my knock sensor issue, thanks to roblog for clueing me in on the angle. Now my #4 misfire code is back. I had leaky valve cover gaskets, replaced those and the plugs and wires. Any idea where to look next? Coil pack is my guess.

Thanks all,

AKOutback

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only 70k on the car, only happens randomly. Didnt come back forntwo days the last time I cleared it. Car belonged to an old man before, pretty sure it sat a good bit

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,441 Posts
Spark, fuel or compression us the culprit. You could try movingthe injector to rule that out. Burnt exhaust #4 exhaust valve is a pretty common issue it seems.

Run a leak down test when the engine is hot.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Check resistance on coil. If a Diamond unit sb 21K +/- 15%.
If Denso 12.8K +/- 15%. Measured between poles for 1 and 2 and between 3 and 4.
Coils do go bad, very infrequently.
I lean towards a sticking fuel injector in#4. Run some strong cleaner through the system.

O.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,571 Posts
5k miles a year. The car wasn't driven. Its like having a baby and sitting them down in one spot with a once a month run around the block. What do you think will happen over 12 years? Fat, lazy and can't walk across the living room without exhaustion. The car is the same way. All those moving parts not moving.

Sometimes you should think of your car in the same light as the human machine. Without use, its useless.

Pull number 4 plug and see how its been firing. If you can't read a plug, take a pic of it and post it. Run an engine flush through the engine at the next oil change. Add a 12 oz can of Sea Foam with a full tank of Premium Unleaded. Wash the engine at a local car wash the next day its not freezing. Leave the engine running when you do it. Change the thermostat and coolant. Clean all the ground lugs and battery cables.

There is a reason for washing the engine. Dirt. Mineral build up will effect the magnetics on the sensors. Clean it. Besides that, a clean engine will let you know when and where that leak is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts