Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, so I bought 99 outback with rod knock and replaced the bottom end. Did headgaskets and timing belt. Engine cranks but does not start. Throwing P0335, no spark. Here's what I have checked so far.

- checked timing marks and retimed multiple times.

- inspected signal plate on crank sprocket. No damage, replaced anyways.

- ohmed out crank sensor. Came back within spec at 2 ohms. Replaced anyways.

- checked crank sensor continuity to ecu. Good.

- replaced coil pack and wires

- replaced ignitor

- added cylinder head grounds

- removed intake and visually inspected wires. Good.

- reset ecu multiple times

Still no spark! Any ideas? What am I missing here??

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
954 Posts
I just did a head removal (similar to a headgasket job) on my 09 PT Cruiser and had a P0122 and P0129 code when cranking and no start. Turns out I accidentally swapped plugs for the camshaft position sensor and the coil pack. They were the exact same plugs. The engine cranked but acted like no spark or no fuel. I found out that the plugs were the same and the wire lengths were almost the same lengths. After swapping plugs, the engine fired right up

Is there any possibility that you may have swapped plugs somewhere?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
confident the timing is correct? you used the tab at the rear of the crank sprocket with the line, NOT the triangle/arrow on the front of the sprocket?

maybe the cam position sensor is bad? i THINK the ECU compares signals between the 2. Proper cam gear?

5spd? will the car push start?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
I reread your post and see you replaced the coil pack, wires and igniter and I'll assume the igniter is the ignition module on the firewall.

How's the battery?
Did you get your grounds all hooked up? The pair that go to the intake is the ground feed for your ignition.
How are you checking spark?

I always have questions and will provide an answer when I see it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your input everyone. The wires to the crank and cam sensors are hard to mix up as the crank sensor harness cannot reach to the cam sensor. The battery came back good at 12volts. Still stumped. Did something that I haven't done in my 7 years working on subies. Stripped it and sent it to scrap yard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts