Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 legacy outback wagon 2.5
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 96 outback with a 2.5... does the cam shaft sensor come out easily? do i have to remove the timing cover, belt and gear? or does it come right out the back? i hear that it is on the drivers side head, but i have not looked yet. some times the car starts right up, and sometimes it will crank and crank and keep on cranking. i give it a rest and try again. and sometimes it works and sometimes i have to give it another rest. anyway, just looking to change the sensor and see if it solves the problem. anyone have any luck changing theirs? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i looked for book times and found that the job pays an hr and an hr and a half depending on the model. tomorrow it should be warmer so i ll take a look and see what it entails. any info before then would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
288 Posts
Was hoping someone with more daily experience would've chimed in, but..
I have never had to do service on the cam sensor on the dohc, while engine was in car.
The sensor is indeed on top of the driver side sprocket. Seeing that the book has the time so small, you should be able to just unbolt it and pull back towards the firewal to remove.
You should see the orange connector coming from it. You will probably have to remove the oil fill pipe to get good access.

Here is ref to fsm.
www.main.experiencetherave.com - /subaru_manual_scans/
also http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/

a lot of times the opposed forces doesn't come up. Only when embedded from another link.

Hope this helps.

O.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, it is better than not hearing anything... actually you were very helpful... another strange thing is that this problem seems to happen when it is colder out than when it is warmer... i thought that cam sensor problems were more of a high temp problem? the past few days have been over 30 degrees and it has had no problems... still going to check the circuit and probably change the sensor.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,277 Posts
You'll want to check the resistance before replacing. I have attached a couple pics. One shows the location, the other has the resistance measure.

If the cam sensor checks good, and your grounding is good, when was the last time you replaced the T-Belt?

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the picture of the location doesnt seem to help me out enough... i glanced around under my hood today and found the crank sensor, but when i looked from the top at top of the black plastic timing belt cover on the drivers side i didnt see what i thought i would... is it under my ac compressor or do i look from the bottom? when it doesnt start the code comes right back. my timing belt was last done at about 200k. i m currently at 243k, i do not think an intermittent problem would be caused by the belt. i m would like to test the resistance and check to see if the bolt is tight, but i first have to find the sensor. i ll try to look from the bottom of the engine tomorrow. any further assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,277 Posts
It bolts to the engine at the back of the driver side cam in front if the oil fill tube. It's the only 2 wire sensor in that area.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i found it and i took a photo of its location for others to maybe have an easier time... in the photo the cam sensor is the orange unplugged connection below the oil fill cap... i checked the ohms and it was 2336 ohms across the sensor... there was liquid in the connection, possibly water? i blew it out and tried to dry it as best as i could... i think this could help explain the challenge with the cold weather problems... i m not sure if it is fixed, but i ll keep you all posted. thanks for the tips.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts