Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Limited
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've been reading a lot about the P0420 in the forums here but haven't found a solid DIY how-to yet. I'm planning on buying a new cat and replacing it myself. I have the attached instructions on how to replace it. Seems like a few bolts and nothing in the way, but manuals like this can be deceiving.

I have a few questions:

1. Can I buy a kit that includes everything I'll need, like the cat, any gaskets, bolts, a/f sensors, etc? OR, do I need to price out all the parts, like the rear exhaust, the a/f sensors, etc?

2. Should I replace everything, or can I get buy with just replacing the cat itself?

3. Any special tools needed?

4. Can I do this myself, or do I need two people?

5. What's a good price or the cat (either for the cat itself, or for a kit)?

6. Should I be concerned about anything else while I'm in there replacing the cat (i.e. are there other parts that are easily replace with the cat off that I might want to look at)?

Thanks! :nerd:

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,843 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Limited
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I don't want to replace an expensive cat, but that just seems like what it is based on what I've read in the forums here.

Current mileage is ~150,000. I've got cabin smell, and the engine runs loud. My gas mileage has also been slowly going down on average. From 29 down to 26. I've only owned the car since March of this year. If I can do something to fix it that doesn't involve a lot of money, great. But I'm also not opposed to being thorough and spending money on the right part and fixing it right the first (whether that's the cat or not).

Thanks!

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Limited
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to mention I have engine shutter when shifting into drive, or coming to a stop. But I think that's unrelated to the cat.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,343 Posts
It's almost never the cat.

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Limited
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took my car into a shop where my friend works and he said that it's probably that the cat has gone bad, and it's probably because of a head gasket issue. The coolant smells off, which means that oil/exhaust could be getting into the coolant. This is the tell tale sign that the head gasket is going bad. He recommended changing the cat and selling the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts