Subaru Outback Forums banner

2261 - 2280 of 2312 Posts

·
Registered
17,652 Posts
I tried to have RR read and share the Learning Table Values but I got an error message that the ECU definition file is missing, I'm not really sure how to change this or where to begin...
Check the lower band of the RR Logger screen. There should be the ECU ID, and next to it, CAL ID. The ECU ID should be a fairly long alpha-numeric. The CAL ID is probably "unknown".

Edit: found it in your photo. Will do a search . . .

It's possible there is a definition for the specific ECU but it's not in that cumulative ECU definitions file that was downloaded. However, if a definition was generated it could be anywhere in the RR Forum. Post the ECU ID and we can search the Forum to see if it's available. If not, you're limited to the ECU and Logger definition files already in place.

I tried adding the three different parameters that you listed and with them added the software was bugging out and wouldn't let me log a file, when I removed the three it let Rom Raider work again as normal...
From what I've read, that tends to happen when there's an address conflict. Some have found that by going in reverse, i.e., instead of adding a desired PID to an existing list of selection, start with the problematic PID, e.g., IAM, see if it works, and if it does, add another, and so until the system starts to falter when the last PID is added. That's the one with a conflict. If it's not an essential one, don't use it. Might have to choose between two desired PIDs . . .

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,262
Check for a vacuum leak on the intake manifold. If he didn't clean up the intake or the portion of the heads for the intake manifold to sit on that might be your problem. That positive fuel trim up to 35 plus is not good.

romraider should record your car based on the definitions in the cars def file you just have to point romraider to that file under the settings drop-down.

·
Registered
17,652 Posts
How do I get my ECU definition? Is that in the RR settings?
ECU ID 2F22054706
That ECU was defined. A copy is attached. It's "RR_E2ZK001A_2A_3A.xml". You can download it from this thread. NOTE: only the Romraider Editor definition; not the ECU Flash definition.

Save the file in the same place as the original downloaded ECU definition file, and point the Romraider Editor (not the Logger) to it.

Although that should be a valid ECU definition file, I don't see that ECU or CAL ID # in the cumulative Logger definition file which is up-to-date. But give it a try.

That .xml is also the "CAL ID", and should show up at the bottom of the Logger screen if the ECU def is working. And if it is, there's probably more PIDs to choose from (and perhaps one or two that are no longer shown).

I tried to attach the def file to this post, but .xml isn't accepted. If you have a problem downloading it, let me know, and I'll put it into a zip folder for you.

That's a 2005, USDM, 2.5 Legacy or Outback, AT, CA-spec.

I've also opened the ROM file to look at all the tables -- great fun . . .

·
Premium Member
2007 3.0R Outback 5EAT JDM 150k km
364 Posts
I tried to have RR read and share the Learning Table Values but I got an error message that the ECU definition file is missing, I'm not really sure how to change this or where to begin...
That can get tricky to set up, in the meantime IAM is a good overall indicator of timing and can be viewed in RR as a regular parameter ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
@plain OM Thank you, that fixed it and allowed me to open Learning Table Values

@kiwisix I took a screen shot of the Learning Table Values before and after I drove the car around for a log, since it was different I attached both below.

After.png Before.png

I took a log with the PIDs that you wanted added and wasn't able to have IAM selected unless Throttle Opening Angle was deselected so I left that out for this log and included Feedback Knock Correction and Fine Learning Knock Correction. Here is the Log File.

I tried plain OM's method of starting with the 3 new PIDs and selecting everything until the Throttle Opening Angle was causing RR to bug out; is there any other method to try to add IAM in and keep Throttle Opening Angle?

@cardoc How would I correctly check for a vacuum leak on the intake manifold? Or is it best to just pull it off and scrape it clean? I would assume he didn't take much time to clean any residue from an old gasket.

·
Premium Member
13,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,266
With the data logger going and watching the STFT, (AF Correction for both banks), have it on the graph and as you spray around the base of the intake if there's a leak the fuel trim will change drastically.

Or you can rig up a smoke machine and force smoke in to the intake and wherever the smoke escapes that's your leak.

·
Registered
17,652 Posts
that fixed it and allowed me to open Learning Table Values
Great. Sometimes it works!

is there any other method to try to add IAM in and keep Throttle Opening Angle?
Not that I'm aware of.

So as long as IAM is off, is it correct that all the other PIDs can be selected and it works?

There could be an error/duplication in the PID addresses. I'll see if I can verify that. In the meantime, I'd consider Throttle Opening Angle more important than IAM. IAM is usually of interest when dealing with significant knock issues. It changes in steps, relatively rarely (e.g., unlike A/F Correction), and only when certain conditions in the knock control strategy have been met. IAM is reported in the LTV results. If you can log all the other PIDs, including Feedback Knock Control (which is the instantaneous timing reduction due to knocking), I'd say start with that.

EDIT: In the list of available PIDs, is there only one IAM, and only one Throttle Opening Angle?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great. Sometimes it works!

Not that I'm aware of.

So as long as IAM is off, is it correct that all the other PIDs can be selected and it works?

There could be an error/duplication in the PID addresses. I'll see if I can verify that. In the meantime, I'd consider Throttle Opening Angle more important than IAM. IAM is usually of interest when dealing with significant knock issues. It changes in steps, relatively rarely (e.g., unlike A/F Correction), and only when certain conditions in the knock control strategy have been met. IAM is reported in the LTV results. If you can log all the other PIDs, including Feedback Knock Control (which is the instantaneous timing reduction due to knocking), I'd say start with that.

EDIT: In the list of available PIDs, is there only one IAM, and only one Throttle Opening Angle?
Yes with IAM off all the other PIDs work correctly, that is how I did the Log in my previous post. Yes there is only one IAM in the available PIDs except for a Knock Correction Advance (IAM only)* but I also tried that one out when I got this problem just because I wasn't sure if I had the correct PID. But yes, both Feedback Knock Control and Fine Learning Knock Correction are in the log that I just posted.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Guys, I have made a smoke "machine" with a soldering iron in a jar and I'm going to blow the smoke through a tube with a bicycle pump, I was thinking of just sealing the air intake and having the smoke come in through there but I guess the throttle body will be blocking the smoke from getting into the intake manifold. Is there a vacuum hose on the manifold that I can take off and connect my "machine" to for this test? Thanks in advance.

Below is a picture of this contraption that I made. I put a schrader valve on it to connect a bike pump to and on the other side is a nipple for a 3/8" vinyl hose that I had laying around. Saw this idea online, figured it might work. I'm sure the epoxy is dry, I just need to go get some baby oil to put in it.

IMG_20200624_182618.jpg

Edit: After looking into it more it appears that the vacuum line from the brake booster will be a good place to attach it and I'll just use a plastic bag clamped over the part of the air box that attaches to the three in tube.

·
Premium Member
13,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,270

·
Premium Member
13,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,272
@SVig4
I am seeing odd fueling. Line 146, 167, 428. I haven't looked past line 16xx. This is enough to raise flags. AF reports 13:1 with steady throttle for a line or so and goes back to normal. If it was just one bank I'd say it's a sensor fault or in the wiring, but both banks do the same thing more than once.

There are a few spots where the APP stays steady and the TPS goes up, I will assume it was a hill.

And why is this car running at 11:1 with 55% throttle? It's apparently in OL fueling since there's no AF Correction on either bank, but 11:1????

Does anyone reading this thread have a ROM ripped from a CARB compliant EJ253? I would like to see what the fuel map looks like. Anyone with ECU Flash or similar able to rip their ROM from a CARB car and post it? That would be any Cali car and most of New England.

If no one has a ROM, I would like to see the ROM from your car. Do you know if there has been any ECM updates done to it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's pretty good. What are you going to heat the baby oil with?
The soldering in the lid of the jar will heat up the baby oil and then using a bike pump it'll push the smoke out through a tube I'll attach to the other valve on the lid.

@SVig4
There are a few spots where the APP stays steady and the TPS goes up, I will assume it was a hill.

If no one has a ROM, I would like to see the ROM from your car. Do you know if there has been any ECM updates done to it?
There are no hills here where I test drove the car for the log short of a little Railroad crossing.

I do not know of any ECM updates, sure how do I share the ROM with you? I am a little lost at what this is...

·
Registered
17,652 Posts
And why is this car running at 11:1 with 55% throttle? It's apparently in OL fueling since there's no AF Correction on either bank, but 11:1????
Lines 1310 to 1390. That's a period of rapid acceleration from idle with upshifts. What's really uncanny is that the APP remains absolutely flat at 42.35% for about ten seconds during that period. (Could this 2005 have one of those early version pedal assemblies?)

Yes, clearly in OL from the A/F Correction.

The CAL ID is the ROM version for that 2005 CARB after the 2011 mass-reprogramming. I'm not aware of any further changes since then.

I have the .bin file. Is that what you need? Should be able to open it in RR Editor using the CAL ID .xml file I linked to earlier in the editor's ECU definition file folder of your computer. (Can't attach a .bin, but if it's what you want, I'll put it in a zipped folder.)

·
Registered
17,652 Posts
If you can post it in Google Drive and link it here I'll look at it.
I'm not on Google Drive. But go to this RR forum thread and scroll down to
"2005 USDM Subaru Outback 2.5i AT E2ZK002A 2F22054706".
Click on the E2ZK002A link to download the .bin file.
.bin file.jpg

If that works, I'd appreciate learning what you're looking at and how you relate it to the issue.

Here's a sample of what I see in RR Editor for that ROM:
ROM display.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
So I hooked it up and sent smoke into the Intake Manifold. I noticed that smoke was coming out of the EGR valve first and I took it off to clean it in the parts washer. It leaks in the middle right where I am pointing the screwdriver. After cleaning it and putting it back in the vehicle it still leaks. Any recommendations on a replacement?

IMG_20200625_122810.jpg IMG_20200625_110455.jpg

The second place I noticed a leak was the front of the intake manifold where there is a shaft coming out and a nut on it. Right under the cover on the front. It leaks on both sides out of this same spot.

IMG_20200625_130026_2.jpg IMG_20200625_130031_2.jpg

2261 - 2280 of 2312 Posts