Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally just use my'10 OB for short journey's for which the seat is fine. However went on a 3hr road trip today and the seat was horrible. Problem is I have an 18hr trip to Texas coming up and am now dreading it. Is there any rule of thumb for seat adjustment, I'm 6'1" so should the seat be set low?When I moved seat to a low position today it seemed fine but at that stage pain had already set in so it's hard to tell. I know it's probably personal but i dont particularly want to waste time driving around trying to find a comfortable position. To do so properly would involve undertaking a long drive that I have no need to do. Any thoughts, tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
Normally just use my'10 OB for short journey's for which the seat is fine. However went on a 3hr road trip today and the seat was horrible. Problem is I have an 18hr trip to Texas coming up and am now dreading it. Is there any rule of thumb for seat adjustment, I'm 6'1" so should the seat be set low?When I moved seat to a low position today it seemed fine but at that stage pain had already set in so it's hard to tell. I know it's probably personal but i dont particularly want to waste time driving around trying to find a comfortable position. To do so properly would involve undertaking a long drive that I have no need to do. Any thoughts, tips would be greatly appreciated.
You're not giving a lot of details about what specifically hurts and everyone is unique. However I will give you this advice and you can go from there. Before touching the steering wheel set the seat height that makes your legs comfortable height wise. Then set the forward and back. Finally adjust the steering wheel up, down, in and out. However do not use any arm rests on the door or console. I've been told more than once our body's natural resting position is relaxed without support. In regards to the lumbar if I relax it all the way I feel the dip in my back. I move it out until I don't feel anything so its matched to my back. Good luck, I'm 6'2" and find the car comfortable.

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
646 Posts
I am 5'7" I did a 24 hour from Vegas to houston was a heck of a trip did I did get a pain in my left shoulder....sucked a lot lol but adjusting the back rest back and lumbar just abit helped a lot, good luck on the trip!

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
950 Posts
Maybe you need some extra padding on the seat.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
Like a lot of modern cars (especially Japanese), the seating position is more upright. A lot of people are more used to driving in a "La-Z-Boy" position. I find the upright seating to be more comfortable. Also, try not to be too far from the wheel. It depends on your body proportions, but I see a lot of my tall friends moving the seat all the way back. I'm not even sure they could apply the brakes fully, because their legs are nearly straight. I am 6'3" and don't have my seat even close to all the way back. However, we all just need to find what is most comfortable... Everyone is different.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems all my weight is transferred to my sit bones. I don't seem to get any support from the rest of the seat.

·
Registered
2009 2.5i SE PZEV Newport Blue
525 Posts
I never want my knees up, so I push seat back in almost every car I've ever driven.
It was always suggested that upper leg, hips to back of knee, should be in contact with seat cushion. I know this subject is concerning gen 4, but I am in an '09, and realize different than '10 to current. However, my position on seating.

I do think I've been in more comfortable seating that my '09. I've driven in at least 5 different vehicles to Annapolis, MD from central NH many times, over many years.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,102 Posts
I adjust for legs front to back, then adjust for a little thigh support, then adjust the back for steering wheel grip. Then I adjust the wheel. Then I re-tweak everything but usually it's just the back and wheel.

I like to change the lumbar every half-hour or hour or so. I'm also not averse to just stopping and getting out for 5-10 minutes if I start feeling bad.

I'm not tall though.

you might be interested in checking out some products by Orbus Forme' . they make back support gear.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
Spend some time getting the seat just right. Pay attention to pressure points as those are the ones that are going to get annoying on the road. I follow the same rules as I do for my chair at work. Eyes should be straight ahead so adjust the seat so your head is level. I like a slight incline to the seat with the lumbar helping to contour to my back. I like my upper legs to be even so I my legs don't fall asleep from the cushion. My legs probably bend at a 135 degree angle (or 45 degrees for the lower legs to the floorboard). I'm an arm rest kind of guy so I make sure I can get my arms in a good position relative to the wheel. Having a tilt/telescopic wheel helps.

People of most sizes should be able to find something that works for them but it will take some time to work it out.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,102 Posts
did you try taking your wallet out of your back pocket?

funny but, I had to do that years ago.

Doing that, and getting orthotics to correct over-pronation, worked miracles on my knees, left hip joint, about 50% of lower back pain and 90% of left big toe joint pain.

·
Premium Member
2012 Outback 2.5i Premium
26 Posts
The only issue I've had with mine, was with support to the back of my legs. I'm 6'3", and the seats are a bit short. I've found taking more frequent breaks seems to help though. FYI, I have 2 bulging disk, from years of playing in a band, so my lower back is very sensitive to bad seating, and have been very pleased with my new Outback. I had an orthodic seat in my old Forrester, but I believe that was more for the wron cushioning than he seat comfort it was a 2001).

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited; 2009 Forester Limited
74 Posts
During a long trip, I've found that there are three things that are important to long-term comfort in a car.

1) finding a comfortable seating position (the topic of this thread)
2) frequent rest stops (approx every 60 to 90 minutes) to get out of the car to stretch your legs and back. These stops need not be long; under 5 minutes is sufficient. They help keep you more alert, too.
3) periodically change your seating position. Do this *** before *** the pain starts to set in. You body doesn't like to be held in one position for long periods of time.

I've followed these rules in all of my cars and over many many road trips. Most recently was a trip in my 2011 OB Limited from Toronto to the Florida Keys and back. Roughly, three, 9-10 hour days each way. No seat-comfort issues at all.

Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 CVT
128 Posts
Frequent rest stops??!! No way. Have to keep my average speed above 65 on long trips cause I'm a guy. My wife points this out every time I drive long distance with her. But, I think she still loves me. :)

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
ive seen some people have the seats in their outback modified by custom shops, not too expensive, but maybe just try throwing in some extra padding on long trips? maybe try loading up on triple cheeseburgers and deep dish pizza, perhaps more natural padding may help.

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT touring
336 Posts
You are getting old. I do stretches before long drives because I have a blown disc in my back. It makes a huge difference. I also take aspirin before and during because the last time I did a "long" drive I wound up with a blood clot in my leg.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited; 2009 Forester Limited
74 Posts
Frequent rest stops??!! No way. Have to keep my average speed above 65 on long trips cause I'm a guy. My wife points this out every time I drive long distance with her. But, I think she still loves me. :)
But do you actually achieve that 65+ mph average speed?

On that trip to Florida that I mentioned I averaged a little over 63 mph. That's not too far off your target 65 mph! And that's with the frequent rest stops!

The OP was dreading a long trip due to seat discomfort. I offered tips to help him deal with it. If you find the seats comfy for longer periods than I suggested, then go for it.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
I never want my knees up, so I push seat back in almost every car I've ever driven.
How is this working for you? I used to do the same, but now find it more comfortable when sitting a little more forward. I was also taught this in a racing school -- better control of the pedals and steering wheel if you are a bit closer. For reference, I am 6'3".

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,284 Posts
The only issue I've had with mine, was with support to the back of my legs. .
Yes, the OB seat is very short... even shorter than Honda civic... I had the same problem with the seat initially too.... but that was because I set up my seat like I am driving a sedan car....I have since re setup the seat position as it it is a bench style seat (ie like Minivan, Pick up truck position)More upright vs couch like....it was so much comfy now....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts