Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just touched up a few chips on my hood and was disappointed with the color match using Subaru touch up paint. I understand that it's difficult if not impossible to match exactly given the metallic paints but in the sun quite a difference.

Anyway, my question is what happens to these touch up areas if and when I take the car in for detailing where they usually buff the paint to get out the swirl marks. How will that process affect the areas I just touched up?

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5, Ice Silver
893 Posts
The Subaru touch up paint in silver is not even close, from my experience. Detailing/waxing does not seem to effect it at all. My Outback has 15,000 miles and I have probably touched up 10 chip spots on it already.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's amazing how quick the chips appears. My Outback is Venetian Red and the touchup paint almost appears orange in the sun.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 -Tungsten
12 Posts
The touch up paint for small scratches and stone chips very rarely matches the original paint color. That is the reason that I had a clear bra installed on my Outback.

I talked with the installer that had just competed a wrap on a BMW M5. Asking if he installed clear bras on many Outbacks. He surprised me by saying that the Outback owners usually wrapped the entire car for off-roading. Apparently the new covering self heals itself when heat is applied.

Many of the dealers that I talked with have a service that comes to their dealerships several times a week to address their touch up needs. I have seen some of the work and for the most part it looks pretty good. Your experience may differ.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5, Ice Silver
893 Posts
Wouldn't using a bra "lift" up the front decreasing the aerodynamics?:grin2:

·
Registered
2016, Outback, 3.6, White
12 Posts
Same experience for me. I used the white touch up paint for a few chips. It's close, and a decent match, but not great. I watched videos and researched for application tips. Still the touch up came out a little schwilly. Idk I can only blame myself for the paint work I guess.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Lim 2.5
65 Posts
2018 Black Outback, drivers outside mirror bottom half, white line approx 2 inches, not scratched, tried washing it off no help, any thoughts? ThxIMG_8362.jpg

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts