Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 2018 in November. After getting it washed, noticed paint is coming off the hood. Has anyone had this problem before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
203 Posts
Got a pic? Car washes can be tough on vehicles if used too much. Not only do most use inferior soap (think dishwash liquid) and recycled dirty water but the repeated brush/cloths can wear areas in the paint. Or maybe the hood was repainted for some reason (damaged before delivery) and not fixed right.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
120 Posts
I've had paint chips on either front fender since the car was about a month old. Haven't done anything about it. There are about half a dozen small chips on either fender. Not sure where/how it happened

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Outback (green)
214 Posts
The paint is really thin and delicate on these cars.

To preserve sanity, I forced myself to stop caring after the first six months of ownership.

As a fellow obsessive, I understand that not everyone can or will want to take this approach. I have no answers for them ;-(

Jason

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,110 Posts
That may be your opinion, but that statement is overly broad and I've seen no objective basis for it. Anecdotally, the OE paint on our Legacy and Outback is still fine, almost like new, after three years and two years respectively.

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
474 Posts
Getting a good set of mud flaps will help reduce rock chips on the fenders. The OEM flaps are too small IMO. I had them, but have been much happier with my Rally Armor mud flaps which are much wider, flexible, and looks great.

Reactions: charless

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
120 Posts

To preserve sanity, I forced myself to stop caring after the first six months of ownership.

As a fellow obsessive, I understand that not everyone can or will want to take this approach. I have no answers for them ;-(

Jason
This is true. And I generally follow the same approach.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
I thought OB owners were required to take monthly drives down rocky, rutted fire roads to acquire chips as evidence of being a proper OB owner.... >:)

Reactions: Carl Abrams

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Outback (green)
214 Posts
That may be your opinion, but that statement is overly broad and I've seen no objective basis for it. Anecdotally, the OE paint on our Legacy and Outback is still fine, almost like new, after three years and two years respectively.
It's more than my opinion. It's been my experience with our 2015.

I have owned too many cars and motorcycles to count in the last 30 years. None chipped and scratched as easily as our Outback.

Good thing about anecdotes . . . everyones' can be different yet still true.

Glad yours held up well.

Can't say I care much about the scratches on ours (thankfully). We love the car and don't really sweat these type of details.

Jason

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring WG/JB
148 Posts
If you want to prevent paint chips on any car and care, get it clear-bra covered when you buy it. That's what I do for every car. Quality of paint doesn't matter. Nothing is impervious to rock chips.

When I got my OB, within a few days I had clear-bra installed on the full bumper, front lights, front fenders, front third of the hood, A-pillars, leading edge of roof to the sunroof, door edges, door sills, and side mirrors. Other than the door edges and sills, these are all parts that can take rock chip damage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a pic? Car washes can be tough on vehicles if used too much. Not only do most use inferior soap (think dishwash liquid) and recycled dirty water but the repeated brush/cloths can wear areas in the paint. Or maybe the hood was repainted for some reason (damaged before delivery) and not fixed right.

Normally I don’t care but being a few months old it’s an annoyance and quite a bit of the paint coming off. Only been in the car wash a couple times.

Didn’t know they repainted hoods after delivery but it makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,291 Posts
No chips so far on mine after 19 months. We keep it garaged whenever we are not using it. Keep it cleaned and polished. Every 4 months max and it is polished with synthetic wax/polish. One big difference, it has been driven on paved roads 95% of the time.

It was one of the first builds for the 2017s in twilight blue if that has any significance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts