Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife used my hood as a shelf today. Now I have a lot of scratches through the paint and into the primer. Most are deep enough to catch a finger nail. I'm used to getting some small scratches and taking care of them with touch-up paint, but there are too many this time. Is this a hood repaint or is there another way to fix these without looking like crap? That is assuming I even fix them. We are working on having kids so I'm sure there will be a lot more in the future. I can't believe how weak the paint is. She does similar stuff to her Jeep and it doesn't even get through the clear coat! Yes, my car is dirty... been raining a lot in Tulsa lately.

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
1. have a professional buff it out and see if it's more tolerable. those do look pretty decent but you'd be surprised how much better it can look depending how bad it is.

2. Find a PDR person. Every used car dealer has them stopping by weekly.

3. Used hood - if the color didn't change you should have a range of like 2015-2019 or something hoods that will work.

4. painting - get a quote, it'll be about $300-$500 for them to strip, prep, prime, paint, clear.

5. Kids are generally a scourge to the interior, exterior not so much. Broken cup holders, buttons, muddy shoes on seats, debris in CD players, cracks, chargers, food, crumbs, spills, stains, crayons melted into fabric, scratched interior, feet pulling down and ripping/breaking the rear seat back holders....

·
Registered
688 Posts
Painted vehicle surfaces should never have anything placed on them if you do not want them damaged.

There is typically only a few microns of paint thickness which, as you have found, can be easily damaged.

Seagrass

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Once you have kids, you should be looking for a vehicle with dark interior.....kids and the ivory interior don't play well together.

I would have the hood buffed out and you may be able to touch up the remaining scratches.

As suggested, I would start with a good PDR guy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps you should wait a bit while you try and train your wife on how to be nice to your car!
LOL, be nice to my car! She's driving mine because hers is waiting for new driveshafts. She needs to be nice to hers first!

OK, thanks all for the buffing advice. I'll try that first.

Obviously no one has a kid like I was growing up. Once I was able to move around on my own, I did far more damage to the exteriors than the interiors.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Great! Looks like they weren't through the paint and into the primer after all.
Usually scratches that appear white are just into the clear and have a chance at being sanded and buffed out. Pretty thin layers of paint and clear on all new cars these days make it less likely to work but looks like it did in this case. Good news!

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Wife felt bad and took my car to a detail shop today! They managed to buff them out!
You need to hold on to that woman.

This is a better outcome than I think you would have attained with the "training" that
Red Suburu suggested - just a gut feel here, mind you.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
You need to hold on to that woman.

This is a better outcome than I think you would have attained with the "training" that
Red Suburu suggested - just a gut feel here, mind you.
I'd upvote that many times over if I could. Definitely keepers: the wife, the car, the contact information for the detailer!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was going to say yes, those can be polished out. I was a pro detailer for many years, and still do favors for people. Those though, unless you have the proper equipment and training, I would not try and do at home. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people go to something like Autozone come home with a high speed buffer kit and not realize how fast you can burn right through paint and then ask me if I can fix it. Sorry, but by that point it requires a good body shop. Be careful folks. Glad she took it to a pro for you.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wife used my hood as a shelf today. Now I have a lot of scratches...She does similar stuff to her Jeep....
I've taught Karate. Take it from me, she needs to take Karate from a good teacher.
When you have kids, they need to take karate lessons from an early age. That will solve these kind of issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts