Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new Subaru owner! We Love our 2018 (Crystal White) Outback Limited but have had issues with paint. The first car was purchased November 2017 about 2 weeks after the purchase I ran it through the car wash and noticed the paint peeling off behind the driver side rear wheel. The dealership handled the situation very well, they took my car back and gave me a new replacement, same color and options. I got the new outback December 29th, yesterday Jan 18, 2018 I ran it through the car wash and to my disbelief same result paint peeling off is same spot. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
2013 O.B. and 2018 O.B.
100 Posts
I'm a new Subaru owner! We Love our 2018 (Crystal White) Outback Limited but have had issues with paint. The first car was purchased November 2017 about 2 weeks after the purchase I ran it through the car wash and noticed the paint peeling off behind the driver side rear wheel. The dealership handled the situation very well, they took my car back and gave me a new replacement, same color and options. I got the new outback December 29th, yesterday Jan 18, 2018 I ran it through the car wash and to my disbelief same result paint peeling off is same spot. Has anyone else had this problem?
Holy cow! Any pics? Would like to see this.

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
I have a small "chip" on the lower side of the front bumper right in front of the wheel arch.......flecked off over a year ago and didn't spread so I assume that, in both vases, an assembly line worker must have touched the molded plastic front clip and not cleaned it off properly....this is an anomaly, this is not new technology, paint does adhere if properly prepped, primed and painted.

Dealer needs to get you another car BUT as importantly, I'd give SOA a quick call asap and tell them what happened.........they'll get in touch with the dealer AND the factory..........better for you to call SOA so you can establish a direct relationship with them, above and beyond the dealer's following thru....

It sucks, to be sure, BUT this stuff happens across brands, sometimes as the last model year of a car is being produced.......they need to know to correct this as it affects customer perception and satisfaction.

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks toysbyus, I have confidence that the dealer will take care of us on this one, I was curious if this was a wide spread issue and it is something that can show up as a problem down the road. Both cars where built a month apart First car in November 2017 the second in December 2017, I think all outbacks are built in Indiana.

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
If it happened in the same place, it could be a robot OR a technician leaving some spot poorly prepped...ESPECIALLY in that the area is close to identical in both circumstances.....

Even if there was a decent time period between the two production dates, it almost speaks to a mistake by the same robot......if robots even contact that specific area of the car....could also be a worker who's consistently making a mistake........

Good luck, I'm sure that you'll be okay BUT do call SOA and emphasize that the dealer is being responsible in his handling of the issue, don't want the dealer to get some pressure when it's a production problem. I'll bet that SOA might appreciate your call by sending you something for your trouble......as they should.

Steve

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
440 Posts
Once repaired or replaced, try a different car wash. Better yet, wash your car yourself. Car washes are notorious for inflicting paint damage.
^This. I once had a two-week-old Honda that I took through a car wash. The spinning brushes scraped the paint on both front doors. Since then, I only wash the car myself.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I'm in shock! They gave you a new car for what should be a simple, inexpensive repair?
I thought the same thing. Pretty straight forward to prep and respray when there is no body work needing repair.

I'm sure that is all the dealer did with the first car. Most likely used it as a customer loaner and will sell it a CPO after 3-4k miles.

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
Personally, had the paint peeling happened to me, I would have worried about what other areas of the paint prep had been done incorrectly. The dealer did what is only reasonable........take the new car back, give the customer his/her choice of a new one and send the car into the loaner/rental fleet after being repaired....

When you plunk down this money money for a new car, it's only reasonable to expect/hope that the first months with the new car will be a positive experience.....repainting the car under who knows what conditions at the body shop is not something I'd be happy with.......

Just my two cents!

Steve

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,208 Posts
If this is a process problem I would bet it would at least be limited to just the plastic bumper covers. I doubt it is a prep issue or a matter of the area either not being cleaned properly or someone touching the area before it was sprayed. Most likely the delamination is a chemical bonding failure between the primer and the base coat. There is no "fixing" the existing paint on that bumper cover. It isn't just a matter of feathering out the peeled area and painting over what is left. There is no way of knowing if the delamination will be limited to that small spot. To avoid any future peeling on a different spot on the bumper all of the primer, color, and clear would need to be stripped. On a plastic bumper cover that is a tough job. Many chemical strippers can damage the plastic underneath, and doing it by sanding is very labor-intensive. Places that recondition bumper covers have good process to remove paint but most body shops don't. For Subaru the best option would be to just start with a new bumper cover and paint it to match.

Is that likely? Probably not. A dealership with a body shop would probably just go with the quick fix and just repair as small of a spot as possible and hope there isn't any further peeling.

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
Can't disagree........thermoplastic bumpers have always been a challenge to paint, starting back with Pontiac's 1968 GTO all the way to the Euroflex bumper covers on their 1973 Grand Am....the one with the squeeze-me/squeak-me clown beak.......cool idea to me when I was in design school but always wondered about durability as the car aged.......especially in the sun.

My roommate's 68 GTO had a devil of a time trying to keep the entire bumper painted at one time......as soon as one part had been painted, the other side started peeling. It drove him nuts........as he was an *******, it was great fun for me.

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the feedback, I guess my reason for posting was to see if this was more than an isolated incident or if I was just that lucky to get the only two. I will keep you posted on the outcome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We recently purchased a 2018 Subaru Outback also white in color. Two weeks later we have paint chipping from driver side real tire area as well. Contacted dealer, they offered to repaint bumper. We refused, we checked other outbacks on the same lot,and found others with same issue. Contacted corporate and they spoke to dealer. Offered to replace bumper but not willing to give written guarantee form future issues related to this problem. Clearly a quality control issue that subaru is not owning up to!! Disgraceful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We recently purchased a 2018 Subaru Outback also white in color. Two weeks later we have paint chipping from driver side real tire area as well. Contacted dealer, they offered to repaint bumper. We refused, we checked other outbacks on the same lot,and found others with same issue. Contacted corporate and they spoke to dealer. Offered to replace bumper but not willing to give written guarantee form future issues related to this problem. Clearly a quality control issue that subaru is not owning up to!! Disgraceful.
That’s enough for me...I’ll wait for a 2019 or go Acura.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You guys should post the build date of your cars so we can see if they were close to the same time. I also have a 2018 in white and have yet to wash it (two weeks and we were gone one). I will inspect the areas behind the rear wheels of my car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have the same problem

Our 2018 Outback is "Tungsten Metallic" in color. Paint peeled off on the driver's side as you described. Our dealer repainted it for us and said to wait 30 days before washing it. We waited the 30 days, washed it, and now paint is peeling from the same spot on the passenger side. We're waiting to hear back from our dealer. I'm going to try to contact SOA to see if they are doing anything about this problem.

·
Registered
2015 OB 3.6
4 Posts
I just discovered a couple days ago that my 2015 3.6 (White) has the paint chipping very similar to your pictures. I noticed it after I went through automatic car wash here in Maine. I took the car to a dealer in Portland but they offered absolutely no help. I then went to a local body shop and they stated basically that it was an inferior paint job from factory. Just one more of the many wonderful experiences with the Subaru. The body shop will put touch up paint on and I will never again go through an automatic car wash.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts