Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Subaru Outback in Carbide Gray. I don't think I've ever owned a car that has such a poor quality paint job, ditto the quality of the body panels. I'm not referring to minor defects here or there, but scratches that appear and don't rub away when objects lightly touch the body of the car. I brushed by a forsythia bush along the side of my driveway (thin, soft branches with no cut or sharp points) and it created a gouge along the side of the car.

The body panels pick up dings at the slightest touch. My open driver side door slowly swung further out while in a parking lot and hit the rubberized edge of an adjacent car's wing mirror, leaving a noticeable dent just above my door handle.

I owned a 2006 Mini Cooper prior to this, and a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee before that and never had this type of problem. I bought the body side molding for this 2017 Outback after someone dented my rear right passenger door in a parking lot about six months after I bought it. I'm glad I did because I believe it has probably saved further aggravation. If they're going to put such poor engineering and shoddy craftsmanship into their products, something like body side molding should be included on all models.

Any similar experiences?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,846 Posts
got pics?

as the cars get newer the body panels get thinner to save weight. (I guess),

so what is your next vehicle going to be ? a 2006 ,...or a 2018?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bcush, I have had similar experiences! I owned MDX's for the past 10 years and have been annoyed with the flimsy panels. The paint on my Carbide Gray is terrible on the hood, leaving bubbled up etchings of what looks like clear coat in at least 10 areas, the largest the size of a dime. Subaru of America has agreed to repaint my hood. Now, I am noticing the same issue on the roof of the car. We have (2) other VW's, our 2012 Beetle sits right next to the Outback in the driveway and is never washed, mine always is, and it has no paint issues. VERY FRUSTRATING!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a 2017 Outback Touring in brown. The paint quality and durability is terrible compared to any new car we’ve had in the last several decades. When I contacted Subaru about the issue they blamed it on outside influences. We take pride in the way our cars look and the quality of paint durability is terrible. For that reason, this will be our last Subaru.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
54 Posts
The paint quality on my '18 (wilderness green) is excellent. However, I noticed that it seems susceptible to bird droppings. Even using Meguiars Ultimate Polish, I can't get the minor etching out.

·
Registered
2016 2.5 outback limited
165 Posts
from what ive heard in the subie groups, subaru uses a very "soft" paint. very easy to chip and bird droppings are a nightmare. best suggestion is to put a good quality wax on the car to help with the bird doo. my 16 has an excellent paint job, no orange ripple or bubbling. just bird etching which slowly works out with some claying and waxing.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Get a good detailing and wax.
Dark cars are painful to own, they look sharp and I'd love to have one but I won't do it by choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts