Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brand new 2018 OB that I lovingly wipe down every night ... sigh. I can't tell if this paint ripple spot is a potential problem. There is a new small paint dent (small black spot, very possibly a ding) but under that (you can see best in the first photo due to the lighting) is a bigger area that looks like the paint or finish is smudged. What is that from? Did something hit it (not dealers problem) or is this a defect (going to be a dealer problem!)?

Attachments

·
Registered
Outback 1: 2015 2.5i Limited. Option 23, PP5, Hitch. Ice Silver. Outback 2: 2015 2.5i Limited, Option 23, PP5, Carbide Gray.
1,022 Posts
Except for the small chip, all I can is orange peel in the paint.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I be willing to wager the dealership will say its a rock chip and anything they would do for it will probably make it worse. Touch up paint and forget about it.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Subaru isn't known for laying down quality paint jobs. Touch up the chip and keep on truckin.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver
433 Posts
And that could be an issue with the plastic of the bumper not being smooth to begin with.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,243 Posts
Breathe it just a car.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The chip is one thing (and I'd like to know more about how to fix that myself!) but on the first picture, below the chip, where the light distortion shows the paint "smudge", I'm wondering if that itself is going to be endemic to this car. It's rough to the touch. I don't know if it got bumped or it's a defect. Hopefully it's just one spot and that's all.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
The chip is one thing (and I'd like to know more about how to fix that myself!) but on the first picture, below the chip, where the light distortion shows the paint "smudge", I'm wondering if that itself is going to be endemic to this car. It's rough to the touch. I don't know if it got bumped or it's a defect. Hopefully it's just one spot and that's all.
To me it appears to be a blemish in the paint. Nothing I would worry about but it is your car.

The repair may look worse than the blemish. Need to either repaint the bumper cover or attempt to sand out the blemish and blend in some re-spray.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,292 Posts
Did something hit it (not dealers problem) or is this a defect (going to be a dealer problem!)?
Rock chip (which means just put some touch up paint on it) and what looks like a minor factory paint defect that's realistically going to be more trouble than it's worth to fix.

That's the plastic bumper - which means that you can't just buff it out. There is a different paint that goes on bumpers than what goes on the metal. A really, REALLY good paint guy MIGHT be able to get it out without having to re-do the entire bumper. Otherwise it's a case of sand and spray the WHOLE bumper - which can then open you up to a whole lot of other issues, because of then getting other stuff into it.

And the good or bad with touch up paint is that it doesn't stick to bumpers quite like it does to metal. I spent a solid hour using the touch up paint on a rock chip similar to that, I kept having to wipe it off and redo it, because it didn't look right.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advice. For this rock chip and future, is it essential to take care of it and touch it up to protect that spot? I live in Michigan with lots and lots of salt on the roads.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver
433 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. For this rock chip and future, is it essential to take care of it and touch it up to protect that spot? I live in Michigan with lots and lots of salt on the roads.

The bumper is plastic and cannot rust. Touch it up so it looks better but it's not going to rust so you have no worries there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Not on the bumper cover. They don't rust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts