Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Ford Escape XLS - 2002 Subaru Outback
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you've painted your stock Outback rims, post up a picture! I'm debating on doing mine

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm going with gunmetal grey, with black primer and two coats of clear. I may do a hammerd grey, which is basically gunmetal with some black specs mixed in.

·
Registered
2001 OB, 2.5
13 Posts
did you paint over the clear ? Or how did you prep them? would love to see some more people posting pics. especially gun metal powder coats!!

·
Registered
00 OB 07 OBXT
5,525 Posts
Rustoleum Graphite metal flake wheel paint.

Clean wheels with paint prep, sand with 800 grit, fill any dings, primer with rustoleum wheel primer, 3 coats of paint at 1-3 hour intervals depending on temp 2 coats of clear. Let them dry for a few days before subjecting to elements if possible.

I taped off the outside lip and sanded it to bare aluminum and polished it before clearing. it's been a year and everything is holding up fine, no peeling or fading. Might paint the other set of WRX wheels I have black, to see if I like those better. Oh yeah, clean the lug holes out well and cover the tapered seat before painting, I used pennies, then popped the out before the paint dried. If you paint the seats, the first time you install the lugs they will chip the paint up on you.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Rustoleum Graphite metal flake wheel paint.

Clean wheels with paint prep, sand with 800 grit, fill any dings, primer with rustoleum wheel primer, 3 coats of paint at 1-3 hour intervals depending on temp 2 coats of clear. Let them dry for a few days before subjecting to elements if possible.

I taped off the outside lip and sanded it to bare aluminum and polished it before clearing. it's been a year and everything is holding up fine, no peeling or fading. Might paint the other set of WRX wheels I have black, to see if I like those better. Oh yeah, clean the lug holes out well and cover the tapered seat before painting, I used pennies, then popped the out before the paint dried. If you paint the seats, the first time you install the lugs they will chip the paint up on you.
That looks great...much better than the ones that are simply black IMO!

Is your OB at the stock height, BTW? Hard to tell for sure in that picture.

·
Registered
00 OB 07 OBXT
5,525 Posts
No, about a 1" Baja spring lift.

Wheel isn't mounted in that pic obviously, I've got some others somewhere.... just don't remember what they're on at the moment.

Black is more striking on this color OB, this would look better on a white one IMO. The color on the cap was quite a bit darker than it ended up. I thought maybe the 3 rd coat would help with that but, not so much. metallic "depth" got better.

Oh yeah, make sure to clean and sand the back edge of the wheel so the paint adheres well there.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I went with doing:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd rather spend $20 and have to do it every tire change over then spend $200 on $150 rims. Heck. I doubt these rims will see 5,000 miles in my ownership.

·
Registered
2001 Outback, 2.5L
51 Posts
Did mine semi-gloss black and painted the grill to match. I sanded and used a steel wool pad on the rims first, then added 2 coats of auto primer and 3 coats of black auto paint. It's a rattle can job, but for the cost (about 15 bucks) and about 4 hours I think it turned out really nicely. It's been about 8 months now, and I have yet to get a scratch/peeling/or nick.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback
20 Posts
I did my wheels almost 8 years ago and has not shown any peeling from Duplicolor Graphite. I coated the wheels with 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of Graphite. Note the cap on rear drivers side rubbed on a snowbank one winter and that is the only one showing signs of wear. Otherwise, been really please with the color.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did my wheels almost 8 years ago and has not shown any peeling from Duplicolor Graphite. I coated the wheels with 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of Graphite. Note the cap on rear drivers side rubbed on a snowbank one winter and that is the only one showing signs of wear. Otherwise, been really please with the color.
What do you have for tint?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It fits the car so perfectly IMO.

·
Registered
2001 Outback 2.5 with 5 Speed
143 Posts
I tinted my white 01 with 15% on all windows except the windshield, and its perfect! Not to dark, but just enough to keep the sun out. I just realized that this picture makes it look a little dark, but its not nearly as dark as like 5%(limo) would be.

I think I want to paint my rims that Graphite color, It looks really nice on the red car. All black reminds me of a car with plain old steel wheels, but that Graphite lets them look stock yet custom. A coworker is doing his soon, so I'll wait until he gets his done and I'll give it a go.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anything darker would really really pop being a white car. Black would almost be to much, but a lighter grey would even look amazing. My Gunmetal would be to dark. I am thinking about doing 35% in the front windows and on the rear windshield, and then doing 15% in the rear side windows.

·
Registered
01 Outback base
195 Posts
One guy on here used plastidip spray to do his rims, any thoughts. i like that it is removable and would only require cleaning to adhere, however short it might last. Hey, could you spraypainting over that stuff? you might be able to experament with different colors.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can get many different colors of plasti-dip. It lasts about 6 months, and honestly isn't that removeable if you leave it on there to long.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts