Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback Limited - 2.5 L Boxer H4 - 5 Speed Manual
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Got tired of the chrome on my grille... (here is what it looks like on a 2nd gen)

...and I used Plastidip spray to coat the chrome black! Simply taped off the inside of the grille and the logo, and sprayed away. Came out pretty well - didn't full stick on some of the edges, so I tried to spray on more and blend it best I can. Turned out pretty well.

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5
214 Posts
welcome to the club of plasti-dip grills! Looks good with the black fog light grills

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
Are you tired of the constant back breaking drudgery and labor needed to keep your chrome grill shiny? You've tried soaking it, polishing it, scrubbing it, buffing it, and no amount of elbow grease seems to make a difference. Tired of your neighbors laughing, yes laughing at you because of your disgraceful chrome grill maintenance routine. I mean, who has the time in this work-a-day world to properly maintain their grill? Well you don't have to lie awake at night worrying about it any more, because Mihogan has the answer... It's black grill. That's right, black grill! It's cool. It's hip. It's now, man. And best of all it's easy! Simply plasti-dip that drab old grill for a fantastic new look! But wait, there's more. Plasti-dip your grill and we'll plasti-dip your neighbor absolutely free.

I do like it. So, did you just mask the logo?

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback Limited - 2.5 L Boxer H4 - 5 Speed Manual
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha I love the ethusiasm!! hahaha :)

And yup, simply masked the insides and the logo. Looking at it up close it doesn't look nearly as nice - some bubbles, lots of peeling where I touched over the chrome with black touch up paint. And unfortunately I noticed at some angles you can see a glittery chrome shining through...! But what I like about plastidip is you can peel it alll off and it'll be just like it was before, and do it again if you want! So I'm going to let it go and see how well it holds. Took me a few hours, which is free time that is tough to find when in college... haha

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
I know a guy who used bed liner on his entire pickup truck rather than repaint it. He was drunk when he did it. Come to think of it, he was drunk a lot of the time. I bet the bed liner helped when he bonked into stuff while driving - drunk, I guess.

I don't drink anymore, but maybe I'll just plasti-dip all my body panels. The previous owner was a drunk and "modified" just about every one of them. I'll post pics if I do it. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts