Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback Premium 2.5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear I'm not a complete idiot. It's not my first time doing an oil change but it is my first time with a Subaru. I'm pretty sure I drained the CVT fluid and not the engine oil by mistake. I didn't realize this till after I added 5qts to the engine and then turned the car on. An array of dash lights went crazy. I've only moved the car 10 yards in reverse to get it out of the garage, just once lightly using the gas pedal. I also replaced the oil filter, if that matters. I then check the oil dipstick and it was way past full. How bad did I mess things up and what should I do from here? Please help!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,481 Posts
this has happened before.

1) have it flattbedded to a dealer.

or 2)

if you are more adventurous buy new subaru CVT fluid and open the fill hole and add back in 5 quarts.

if you used a clean basin you could possibly add back the drained CVT fluid into the car.

and drain off 5 quarts of engine oil.

_____

times like this hand siphons are handy.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,481 Posts

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
Yikes

At least you didn't try and drive it.

10qts of oil in the system is a a lot. You could have oil in the defroster vents. (Just kidding) The CVT fill procedure is ... procedural. Dunno, If it were my car I might tackle myself, but that's me.

Unless I were really confident, I'd probably call my local flatbed.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Premium 2.5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a frozen Saturday night and I have a bad feeling I won't be able to get help till Monday. Thanks for the replies. I need a strong drink and a "I'm stupid" sticker

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
It's a frozen Saturday night and I have a bad feeling I won't be able to get help till Monday. Thanks for the replies. I need a strong drink and a "I'm stupid" sticker
You only get a "stupid sticker" if you didn't learn anything.

I dropped a washer down #2 cylinder once. I found it by trying to crank the motor with the starter. I should have found it by hand cranking the motor through when you do a timing belt. (and other work) I knew this before, I know this even better now. I will never make the same mistake again.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,797 Posts
The fix is to flatbed it to the dealership and let them right your land ship. You aren't the first person to do it and your dealer has seen the same thing before. It's more embarrassing than anything else.

You're out some money but it's a pittance compared to a new tranny.

Move on with life when it's resolved.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Premium 2.5
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flatbed to a service shop is probably the smarter, easier option except that every place is closed till Monday and there's much to be done before then. I really screwed myself over. I may attempt to right my wrong if I can figure out how to do a transmission fluid change as well as find what the right fluid is and where to buy it on a Saturday night/Sunday

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts
Flatbed to a service shop is probably the smarter, easier option except that every place is closed till Monday and there's much to be done before then. I really screwed myself over. I may attempt to right my wrong if I can figure out how to do a transmission fluid change as well as find what the right fluid is and where to buy it on a Saturday night/Sunday
You won't.

Reactions: skipw

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
You won't.
I didn't have the heart to crush the OP's enthusiasm after a stiff drink. But, you did. True, He's definitely NOT going to find required CVT juice though, is he?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,481 Posts
if you put the wrong fluid in there it maybe a $3000-$6000 mistake.
($3000 about how much a used trans costs,...$6000 for a new one). that is a whole lot of beer money.

wrong, like the wrong fluids they sell in a parts store or wallmart on the weekend.

buy the right one at the dealer, or don't bother. or order it off amazon and wait. (subaru OEM stuff is right there).

rent a car if you need to. enterprise. uber.

Reactions: skipw

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,797 Posts
+87 to what eagle said.

Don't make your current problem exponentially worse by using a one size fits all fluid. It's 48 hours until Monday and if you divide that by $6,000 that's a very expensive lesson to learn by not waiting.

Find alternate wheels to get you around until then.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,481 Posts
and keep this in mind:

if you ever want to call in the free or discounted CVT fix and replacement warranty repair to subaru of america.

it better have good fluid in it. (from reading here they ship the old units back to japan to be rebuilt with better parts).

Reactions: traildogck

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
+87 to what eagle said.

It's 48 hours until Monday and if you divide that by $6,000.
Is this what we call "new math"?

Either way, it adds up. This cost per hour ^^^^ makes dealer labor rates feel like pocket change.

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
and keep this in mind:

if you ever want to call in the free or discounted CVT fix and replacement warranty repair to subaru of america.

it better have good fluid in it. (from reading here they ship the old units back to japan to be rebuilt with better parts).
Unless it is the dealer that put the wrong fluid in. Then you want the wrong fluid in ... when they drain it the second time. Right?

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/139506-effects-atf-front-diff.html

Wait, I'm lost. No, I got it. ATF in the diff for a short time is OK. Gear oil in the 5EAT (or CVT)... bad.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,481 Posts

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
no more beer for you,...switch to the electric hash pipe. :smoke:
I need a beer after the Foz. That guy, he's cool and all, But I think he vapes too much. Things take 3 times as longer than necessary. Colorado is so weird these days.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I swear I'm not a complete idiot. It's not my first time doing an oil change but it is my first time with a Subaru. I'm pretty sure I drained the CVT fluid and not the engine oil by mistake. I didn't realize this till after I added 5qts to the engine and then turned the car on. An array of dash lights went crazy. I've only moved the car 10 yards in reverse to get it out of the garage, just once lightly using the gas pedal. I also replaced the oil filter, if that matters. I then check the oil dipstick and it was way past full. How bad did I mess things up and what should I do from here? Please help!
At least you are willing to change oil. Since you mixed new oil with old oil and 5 quarts is @$25, at least drain out all the oil and refill with 5 quarts of fresh oil. The quicker you do this, the better off you are. If you drain an estimated 5 quarts of the present 10 quart quantity, you might end up making a mess, and do an oil change anyway shortly thereafter. Next, do you have two cars or at least a ride, so that even if this one is sitting for a couple of days, it is not that painful. Learn where your CVT fill plug is. Measure how much CVT fluid you drained. Get enough from the dealership and add the estimated quantity back. It will be fine. Watch out for any unusual sounds, warning lamps etc. If all else fails, yes do flatbed it to the dealership, but try not to start the car with 10 quarts of oil, except to get it in position to drain the oil......

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
181 Posts
If you're still interested in fixing yourself, fix the engine oil issue first by getting it back to the right level. You'll need to run the engine to correctly refill the CVT.

You'll need to follow these if you want to DIY the CVT fill:

Honestly, having flushed the CVT myself, I'd bring it in to the dealer and let them correct it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts