1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback wagon, 2.5i Touring
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 outback
the panoramic moonroof was fully opened
when i tried to close it , it went a quarter of an inch back and forth 3-4 times and it stayed close
nothing works I cleaned the whole tracks and the swiches that I could see
when I press the moonrrof switch i could hear a click from the mechanism but nothing happening

I searched about manually closing the roof , took apart the front domelights NOTHING there
took apart the middle dome light NOTHING there
took apart the cargo bay dome light NOTHING there

not a single mention in the owners manual on how to manually close it
evertyhing I find on the internet seems to be related to another model than mine\

where (if any) is that mysterious hole to put an hex key that many are talking about but no one think it would be important to actually show it ?

·
Registered
Outback 2007 3.0Rn 5EAT Wagon.
519 Posts
Confirm you are trying with the ignition on?
This diagram comes from my 2005 car - yours may be similar.

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah ignition on

Subaru in their wisdom put a round plug on the ceiling of the cargo bay where you could insert a hex key

and i found the hard way that if your moonroof is stuck FULLY OPEN the sunshade will block the acces to the manual hole by 1 inch !
I had to remove all trimmings and unclip the ceiling so I could break the sunshade and slide a hex key in the hole

now the moonroof is closed and still refuse to work I could still hear the click click from the motor but nothing happening
probably a stupid microswitch blocking the signal because it thinks a stupid person is trying to close the moonroof while his head is in the hole

and EDIT I have the canadian French only version of the owner manual and sometimes they forgot some sections that are covered in the english one

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,197 Posts
and EDIT I have the canadian French only version of the owner manual and sometimes they forgot some sections that are covered in the english one

well there is a glaring example of how to break well established Canuck federal laws.
("EVERYTHING NEEDS to be in French and English" )

glad you don't have to bust out the 5th Avenue and put gas in it more often, vs. driving around with the moon roof open in the rain.

One of my cousins had one of those when new around 1985 (navy blue, navy leather,...every option).
then traded it for a new 1988 grand caravan due to a growing family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Fifth_Avenue

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

not on the road yet I have lots of work to do on it including removing the lean burn system and swapping a 4 barrels termoquad carb

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
still i'm pissed first time I open it full lenght and now it doesn't work anymore

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,197 Posts
still i'm pissed first time I open it full lenght and now it doesn't work anymore
maybe that's the problem. it wants to over extend itself. like way past where it is supposed to stop, and then not close.

maybe someone with a good working 2005-2009 could open one to a typical stop and take a pic with a ruler of where it is supposed to stop.

(I really don't make much use of my 2002 ones,....like it has to be boiling inside the car, and I want to vent off the hot air fast before turning the A/C on without moving the car to vent it out the side windows easy).

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
opening too far could explain why the sunshade was blocking the access hole
what I still don't get is the 3 motions of an extremely short distance, back and forth, and the roof stopping to try after that

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,079 Posts
Mine has done the same thing since I broke the shade cover retracting rods.

When you open the sunroof, does the shade open with it, or does the window slide back but leave the shade closed? After the shade rods broke on mine, the window will slide past the shade and then when it goes to close, it hits the shade and thinks it's being blocked. So it retracts. You need to try and push the shade back past the window while it tries to open. It should go past it.

Then from here on, if you open the sunroof all the way, make sure the shade is all the way back before you open it.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts