Subaru Outback Forums banner

Park it like it's....not going anywhere

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  NH_Outback 
#1 ·
This might be an odd question, but since I always learn something here, I thought I'd ask.

I'll be parking my '00 Outback for about 2.5 months, then again for another two months (the second run potentially including snowy/below freezing temps). It'll be parked outdoors. Is there anything I should be aware of or anything I should do before leaving it to help ensure that she starts up without a hitch? Thanks!

#4 ·
Use one of these.

#6 ·
If it will be sitting on the ground, air up the tires to avoid flat spotting. Air them up to maximum and you should be good. just remember to check and adjust pressure when you get back home.

#7 ·
any chance at all of getting someone to drive it 5-10 times? Even pay them.

if not, one thing to consider, maybe put some kinda critter repellent under it or on top of the tires or ????? Get a snake shed (like when they shed their skin, try a pet store if you don't know someone with a snake) or 2 and put them into the engine compartment. Or a bottle of fox urine w'ever from the hunting store, just open the top ans set it somewhere under in the engine compartment. Even some 'clumps' from a cat litter box thrown underneath the car might keep mice out of it. maybe put ant/roach traps on top of the tires or something.

#14 ·
Yes to the below

I definitely would do this. I bought a 2012 Ford Mustang at the start of February of this year. Due to the unusually snowless winter here in NH, the Outback sat a lot through late winter into spring and early summer. I ended have to put an ant trap in the car to get rid of the darn things. Since summer has been here and I've run it more on some trips, they have disappeared from the car.

#8 ·
If its going to be parked in freezing weather, drain the cooling system and fill with 100% antifreeze. Don't forget the overflow tank. Also, drain the washer fluid system. If you put fuel stabilizer in, do it with the tank nearly empty, then add fuel, and be sure to run it a little to get the stabilizer all the way through the system.

A cover would be wise, at very least over the door seams and cowl vents. Putting the car on jack stands would be wise, as not only will it help protect the tires, it'd make things tricky for a thief. (Car starts, goes in gear, doesn't go anywhere - probably not going to stick around to figure out why. If they've got time to figure out why... bad place to park it.)

#9 ·
Take the battery out and bring it inside. Fuel stablizer, and take the tires off. A tarp or a cover would help aswell. Changing the oil once you get back isn't a bad idea aswell. Draining the coolant I havent heard, but doesn't sound like a bad idea. Other then that 2 months isn't a drastic amount of time. I've seen cars parked since the 80's that start with just a battery jump.

#11 ·
^^^ yep - 2 months is not horrible.

Calculate the money/hassle involved in all the above suggestions, and see if you could just pay someone to drive the car every coupla weeks, for 15-20 minutes. Use for their laundry day or for a shopping trip. Or buy them some restaurant/movie coupons with the condition they use your car.

Not idle, drive. That way there's no flat-spotting of the tires.

#12 ·
For what it's worth, it's parked at the lot at work, so theft isn't a concern. I may see about asking a colleague if they'd be willing to drive it home once every other week or something just to keep it active. Some good food for thought - thanks everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.