Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Actually, GM uses the same setup on some of their vehicles.

·
Administrator
4,268 Posts
Question, I suppose I'm just ignorant to the concept, why would you want or need to adjust your parking brake? I love modding my OB no matter how small or insignificant the mod may be to me :D

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Um, when the shoes start to wear a little, the cable streatches and it no longer holds when you pull up the handle and it goes like 20 clicks? Most states that have inspection require a working parking brake. Or you've done too many e-brake turns and need to adjust it.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
When I recently drove a 2002 Oldsmobile minivan, I was amazed to learn that the only way to release the parking brake pedal is to press it all the way to the floor...

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The_Lizard said:
When I recently drove a 2002 Oldsmobile minivan, I was amazed to learn that the only way to release the parking brake pedal is to press it all the way to the floor...
That's common amoung the types of e-brakes that you set with your foot in US cars. Kind of strange if you ask me. I've found that a lot in the rental cars I get.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks as always Peaty. My e-brake almost touches the dome light it's so loose. :2:

One less thing I'll need to ask my repair shop to do.....

·
Submod , ,
3,022 Posts
This thread finally inspired me to do something about the slack in the e-brake.

Using Peaty's instructions it took me about 10 min to adjust from about 19 clicks down to 8.

Once again, thanks Peaty :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
bheinz57 said:
It took over two years to revive this thread!!

But it helped some peeps out. Can't beat that.

Brian
Amazing what that little search button can do......:12:

·
Registered
135 Posts
i made this adjustment on my outback, and the throw of my handle is about half what it used to be, but even when the brake is engadged there is barely any braking power. My car will still roll along, even if i get out and push the car myself. Any ideas? Could the pads actually be worn out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Me too!

I've got the same problem: My brake lever only goes up 7-9 clicks but if I don't get it that last click it'll slowly roll away.

Also, that e-brake pad arrangement? Old volvo wagons have the same setup.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lukeg199 said:
i made this adjustment on my outback, and the throw of my handle is about half what it used to be, but even when the brake is engadged there is barely any braking power. My car will still roll along, even if i get out and push the car myself. Any ideas? Could the pads actually be worn out?
I doubt the pads are worn but you may need to get back there and turn the adjusting wheel to get the shoes closer to the drum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
still nothing

I tried all this this afternoon. I now get some contact but it doesn't keep the car from rolling. it also kinda sounds like something back there is rubbing all the time now.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Re: still nothing

Hi tevaburns and welcome! If you did the adjustment procedure and it's still not working, you may need to pull the rear rotors off and make sure all the parking brake components look good?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
porcupine73
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing