Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really hoping someone can help me out!

I recently changed out my dead battery on my 2011 Outback 3.6R with a Group 34 Optima Yellowtop and now my ABS and VDC dash lights are on. The Parking brake light is constantly flashing. Also, Cruise Control does not work and when I try to toggle Hill Assist all I hear is a beep but it does not engage. I have tried to read codes but came back with none. No fuses were blown from the jump starts. Really confused here as I don't think anything major should have happened from a simple battery swap just looking for more things to check before I call the Subaru Doctor(Dealership).

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would that throw any codes though? When I checked with a scanner I didnt see any. Also, my brake lights are working fine, which is the way the dealer found the problem in the linked car.

·
Registered
18,858 Posts
I referred to that thread only because of the similar situation.

I reread the thread and to me it's not clear whether there were any codes. The first poster specifically says that the dealer didn't find the ABS system fault based on a code. A later poster with a similar situation mentions the mechanic being unable to clear codes, but we don't know if those codes were related. The first poster does mention brake lights; however, on reading the second poster's description of the problem, I wonder if that first reference was to the brake warning light in the instrument panel (as in your case), rather than the stop lights at the back of the car.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made an appointment for Friday really hoping its something simple and looking forward to what they have to say. If anyone else has information on this situation I'd love to hear! plain OM thank you for the information.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited Multimedia
1 Posts
I made an appointment for Friday really hoping its something simple and looking forward to what they have to say. If anyone else has information on this situation I'd love to hear! plain OM thank you for the information.
iflyfpv, have you solved the problem ?

I have exactly the same issue.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,846 Posts
iflyfpv, have you solved the problem ?

I have exactly the same issue.
remove, clean and retighten the battery cables. sometimes the bolt and nut seem like they are tightening but are not actually making anything tighter when you spin them. ...and sometimes such things just have to get tossed for new.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Terminals and battery cables need to be spotless, shiny metal and tight.

Check voltage at alternator and battery - what are they?

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I did get it fixed after handing over $1200. Turns out the VDC Control Module was fried and the only way to fix it as to install a new one. I was afraid this would be the case after seeing someone else with this problem on here and was hoping it wouldn't be this problem but it is what it is. I asked the dealer if they see this problem a lot and they said they only see it about once or twice a year. I was an unlucky one and I hope this isn't what your problem is. Did you change or mess around with your battery recently?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,846 Posts
So I did get it fixed after handing over $1200. Turns out the VDC Control Module was fried and the only way to fix it as to install a new one. I was afraid this would be the case after seeing someone else with this problem on here and was hoping it wouldn't be this problem but it is what it is. I asked the dealer if they see this problem a lot and they said they only see it about once or twice a year. I was an unlucky one and I hope this isn't what your problem is. Did you change or mess around with your battery recently?
I think this is the first or 2nd instance that I recall reading a VDC computer module being replaced on this board.

did the dealer say why specifically this happened in your case?

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They said it could be from jumping the car or a surge from somewhere. It was the only way they were going to get my lights off and allow the cruise control and other functions to come back on. I really didn't have any other options, although I wish I did.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi There.

I had the same problem changing the battery on my Subaru OB 2011 and because I left the car without a battery for one hour or so the lights came on.
So when the dealer fixed your car at least they tried to clear, reset or do some other diagnosis before telling you sorry but you have to pay $ 1.200 in order to fix your car ?.

I went to the dealer and they told me that I have to pay $ 1.200 or so to fix it. To be honest I don't believe them I'm pretty sure they can do something else in order to clear those lights.
Any suggestions ?.

Thanks a lot.

Christian.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This happens to my 09 Subaru Forester..VCD, ABS, Hill assist is all on..It turn out is just a blown Stop light Fuse..I was frustrated as I tested the ABS sensors, Brake switch, abs fuse and all is working fine..and I notice the Brake light switch won't come on when the brake pedal is pressed.I open the the fuse box on the driver side and there it is.. the Stop Light fuse is blown..replace it problem solved..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts