Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to get a jumpstart after the holidays due to dead battery due to light left on in car. It jumped fine, but now the parking lights front and back will blink on and off for several seconds, then be off for several seconds, then blink for several seconds. All this with the key out.

There's a mention of a "parking light circuit" blinking problem in a post below, but no detail on resolving it. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Peter

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
this is just a wild idea, but do you have alarm or security system on yr car?

it may be telling you to re-program some settings that were wiped out when batt went dead. i mention this cuz the aftermkt alarm in my Mazda pickup does this sort of behavior every time i accidentlly kill battery, until i re-program it again. check yr owners manual on this.

·
Registered
169 Posts
not sure what year your car is... had a '96 OBW that would do that until I used the keyfob to lock or unlock the doors... not sure how to reset w/o keyfob

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
That's the fix, you have to cycle the locks through the keyless remote. This is one of the most often-repeated Subaru questions for this generation of cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks - will try to cycle locks

Thanks for all the help guys. Forgot to mention it's a 97 OB. No alarm, but keyless remote.

After I read your postings, I called dealer and they also suggested resetting the remote. Sounded like an elaborate procedure - sit in car, cycle remote 10 times, listen for beep, put key in ignition, open door, listen for three beeps, close door, repeat for second remote. Not sure about exact steps, something like that. Will see if there's instructions in the manual and give it a go.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Lizard was right. All it took was to hit lock/unlock on the fob. The manual didn't have anything on this, because I guess the remote is an option. Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I know this thread is a little old, but there's some interesting information I found somewhere on the web and confirmed on my '97 OBW.

To reset the keyless entry unit for programming you don't even need to touch the ignition. There is a button on the keyless entry unit (in the wiring harness) that is dedicated to resetting the system. No cycling of the ignition needed.

enouen

·
Registered
141 Posts
I hate to bump an old thread, but I am having this problem, and as I purchased the car used (it's a 97 OB), all I have is one master key. No remotes or anything else. How do I resolve this without a remote?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for drudging up an old thread, but it is Germane. Unfortunately, I have a wrinkle in the above prescription. First the facts. '98 Subaru Outback Limited with factory alarm system. Have had issues with the battery dying prematurely. The current battery is <1year old and it managed to die on my for the first time, after a short death of maybe a 2.5yo battery before it. I drive very infrequently. I live in a major metro area and the car is for errands and such, not for commuting, which is why it is so old, but still mostly functioning.

So every other time when my battery died, I would jump it and voila. I had this happen so many times, I have one of those rechargeable portable jumpers, so I can leave it in the car. This time, I go to jump it and as soon as I turn the jumper on the alarm goes off. I tried disconnecting the battery terminals hoping that it will somehow magically reset itself, tried removing a fuse one by one...no such luck. I can turn it over as the ignition is disabled.

So I read this thread, ok, now we are cooking with gas, except that my keyless remotes both got smashed ions ago. So am I f'd?

·
Premium Member
12,015 Posts
I can't remember. Try cycling the key 3 times on/off then try to start it. Works on Gen 2. Otherwise, get a fob ordered, programmed, and drive the car more often and long enough to keep the battery charged. Or get a trickle charger on the battery once in a while to keep it active.

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
Subaru Keyless Entry, Security Alarm, Immobilizer Key, Remote Start Systems. Most years and models alarm

(doc's right if you had a 99-04 Alpine system)

Battery failed and lights flashing?
Parking lights will flash when the vehicle's battery is disconnected and reconnected.
To stop lights from flashing, either:
Press remote transmitter “UNLOCK” button once OR turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position and press programming button for one second (see below).
The vehicle interior (courtesy) light and door open warning light (DOOR AJAR indicator) will then illuminate for 60 seconds when the ignition is turned off, or until the doors are locked with the remote transmitter. Yes, the dashboard instrument panel lights will flash when the parking lights flash.

Programming or Overriding the Alarm when you have lost the remote
Open driver's door.
Turn ignition key to 'On'
Press and *hold programming button* in (see diagram, button under dashboard)
After 15 seconds the the door locks will cycle 3 times. Do not release Programming button
Press lock (left) button the remotes to be programmed. The door locks will cycle one time.
Exit programming mode by releasing Programming button under dashboard and turning key to off.

how to program Subaru alarmCode Alarm Programming Button is under dashboard on the kick panel by the driver's left knee, left of the steering column. If you can't find it, it might still be tucked up in the wiring harness higher up in that same general area. The botton is recessed in a plastic ring (see diagram).
This button must be pressed while programming remotes or if the battery was disconnected and the lights are flashing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts