Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited Sedan, 2.5L
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to retire my 2000 Outback Limited Sedan. I was hoping to hit 200k, but made it to 192,600. Needs at least one head gasket replaced (fluctuating temp gauge with air bubbles in expansion tank). Anyway, wife put the hammer down as far as spending $ to replace the heads. Any suggestions on what I should do with the car? Tires are worth more than the trade-in value! Has anyone had any luck parting-out a Suby? Parting-out is a gamble since I don't want half a car sitting at home once it's picked clean. Ebay? Craigslist? Local paper? Open to suggestions. Thanks!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,204 Posts
I see you are in the PNW

used subaru parts, and whole cars go for big bucks.

craigslist. and some place or person that wants it will snap it up.

$1000 -1200? check out what is similar in 2000-2004 needing head gaskets.

(take pics, show that it has no rust over the rear tires....hopefully).

if one of these EJ251 / EJ252 is leaking like that its not fixable and needs another engine.
(like from a wreck,....many of these have head gaskets done already). and at this point in time maybe cheaper then doing a regular head gasket job on that.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
If the body is clean and straight, I'd try selling as a whole.

If there's rust, torn-up interior, needs major overhauling of the rest of the car, I'd pull the wheels and have a scrapper come get it.

PNW may garnish more than scrap for a whole car, but unless you have tons of space, time, or are willing to tear-down for essentially free, parting a 200k mile OB is not financially viable. If it was a 30 mile STI, it'd be another story.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
My daughter smashed up the front end of Little Red, our 2000 Outback Limited with 238K+ miles on it. I thought about parting it out, but had the same misgivings you did. Who wants to pay to have an interior shipped? What about my neighbors looking at that hunk of junk sitting there? How much more would it cost to have it towed away once all of the best bits were stripped off and sold? how long would the entire process take? I got a life you know!

I just finished getting her ready for my daughter to drive to high school nearly an hour each way. New brakes, tires, fluids, wheel bearing, tie rod end, etc. Luckily, I found a forum member here who was happy to buy the car for $800, do the body work, and sell it to a needy friend at cost. I still have a 2008 LL Bean that she is driving now - only had one wreck so far. :(

·
Registered
2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
1,302 Posts
Time to retire my 2000 Outback Limited Sedan. I was hoping to hit 200k, but made it to 192,600. Needs at least one head gasket replaced (fluctuating temp gauge with air bubbles in expansion tank). Anyway, wife put the hammer down as far as spending $ to replace the heads. Any suggestions on what I should do with the car? Tires are worth more than the trade-in value! Has anyone had any luck parting-out a Suby? Parting-out is a gamble since I don't want half a car sitting at home once it's picked clean. Ebay? Craigslist? Local paper? Open to suggestions. Thanks!
The antidote to this is, if you have the space and a less caustic reaction from the wife, is to part it out now for the things of highest value, then scrap whats left.

ChrisFix did a good youtube video on this, give it a watch and see what you think.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,204 Posts
What about my neighbors looking at that hunk of junk sitting there? :(
your wife's ugly hyundai sonata is sitting there.....do you get nasty notes in the mail box from neighbors about it blighting a vibrant community? :wink2:

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
954 Posts
Anyway, wife put the hammer down as far as spending $ to replace the heads. Any suggestions on what I should do with the car? Tires are worth more than the trade-in value! Has anyone had any luck parting-out a Suby?!

I hope wifey doesn't mind you replacing it with a 2018 Outback with all the bells and whistles!

Forget the trade-in value. A dealer will give you $300 or less off of a marked up valued new car which will be less than the discount you can get if you go through Costco or True Car or one of those other agencies.

List it on Craigslist and be up front with everything you know about it. Someone willing to do the HG job (about $800 for a knowledgeable shop to charge for labor + resurfacing the heads if they need to). The KBB value would be much higher and someone would jump on an OB that can be fixed up, driven and later sold for over $2k. You would probably have folks jump on it for $500 or maybe even $800 if it was otherwise very nice inside and out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate all the replies. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a used 2001 engine with 58k miles for $1200 delivered. I figure $1200 is better than 60 monthly loan payments. Also gives me something to do. Besides, the car has treated me well and is entirely too fun to drive to let it go!!! It would be like taking the family pet to the vet to get put down...just can't do it! :)

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
954 Posts
Wise move. Even though we can afford a new car in a couple of years, I can't justify buying one now that I've become so accustomed to just about everything on this car. You probably also now know how to fix or replace just about everything on your car. So long as it's not rusted through, it can go another 100k.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,204 Posts
Appreciate all the replies. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a used 2001 engine with 58k miles for $1200 delivered. I figure $1200 is better than 60 monthly loan payments. Also gives me something to do. Besides, the car has treated me well and is entirely too fun to drive to let it go!!! It would be like taking the family pet to the vet to get put down...just can't do it! :)
before it goes in:

new NGK plugs (plugs on the old one are bad from the HG situation),

new NGK wires,

new timing belt kit from Aisin, (rest of the aftermarkets are chinese junk).

____

and I ran my 2002 outback sedan like 250 miles yesterday. 119,000 miles on the clock, and it still gets like 29mpg highway on regular gas,

...just the right tool for the job. it looks great from the inside, and I just avoid looking at the rust.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've seen a few posts recommending stainless steel head gaskets. Is this accurate? Stainless steel? Really doesn't matter...I just need to know what everyone might consider as the most reliable after market head gaskets (who makes them, where to buy). I don't want to pull the engine again to replace head gaskets for at least another 150k!

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,179 Posts
Felpro multi-layer has been highly recommended by everyone here. And if I remember correctly, the Subaru multi-layer turbo motor head gaskets.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,204 Posts
I've seen a few posts recommending stainless steel head gaskets. Is this accurate? Stainless steel? Really doesn't matter...I just need to know what everyone might consider as the most reliable after market head gaskets (who makes them, where to buy). I don't want to pull the engine again to replace head gaskets for at least another 150k!
this is the first time I read 'stainless" in a HG discussion.

MLS = multi layer steel, like the subaru turbo ones that end in 642 for the EJ255.

or many aftermarket ones,

but not:

the original sad single layer steel ones that came on the car. and all EJ25 until 2010.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts