Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, First time positng on Subaru Outback Forums.

We just picked up a 2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport for my little brother to use as a "pizza wagon".

The only problem is that the previous owner had the geared timing idler pulley fail on him. The PO took apart the timing belt assembly and found that the belt had jumped a tooth due to the slcack created by the bearing that fell apart.

The PO said that when it failed that it still ran it just ran crappy.

So we bought it as a basket case basically with the front of the engine already taken apart. But we got it for a really good price since the PO didnt want to fix it and already had another car anyways.

So after we got it home I started to put it back into time by first putting the crank at 12 O'clock, I only had to turn it CW about 1/8th of a turn to get it lined up. Next I turned the Driver side cam, this one I only had to go to about 1/4th of a turn to get it lined up. I did have to use a wrench to turn it cause of the spring pressure. Then when I went to the Passenger side cam this is where i had the problem. This one was already really close to 12 so when i turned it it was stiff until i got it to 12 but when i got it there it got really loose (I could easily turn it by hand). When the mark is at 12 i can turn the cam about 2.5 teeth CW very easily till it gets stiff again. Is this Normal?! :confused:

I am worried since the Driver side is stiff it seems like the whole way around.

Could i have bent valves?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

Ok i just checked the driver side cam and it has the same looseness at the 6 o'clock position. So these leads me to believe that i either have bent valves on both sides or this is how it was designed.

Any input would be appreciated from anyone who remembers a similar situation when they changerd their timing belt.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Do a search for pics ,but the crank mark (on back of sprocket) will be in line with hash mark on crank sensor.
The pass cam hash mark will line up with seam between head and block.
Driver cam hash mark will line up with notch in tb cover.
ALWAYS hash marks, NEVER arrows for tb belt install.
Driver's cam will be under tension, but pass will be completely free.
Basically they will all be at 12 o'clock.
See: www.main.experiencetherave.com - /subaru_manual_scans/
Use 2000 Legacy, the engine is the same.
Also for future ref: http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/

O,

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
The passenger side cam having tension is interesting. Put a new belt on. You can start it without the cover and accessories on right after the belt is installed. It won't hurt it and will save time if you need to redo anything. Just don't run it long without coolant if you removed the radiator to do the work. Listen for noise and whether the engine is running smooth or rough.

Here's a pic of the timing marks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Osei and cardoc Thank you so much for the info. The new timing belt kit came yesterday so I hope to get it on tonight and see what happens when we turn it over. I will also rent a compression tester after work today and see what we get with that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts