Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 OB 2.5i 5mt
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Passenger side headlights are out on my dad’s 2014 OB 2.5 (pretty sure it’s a ‘limited’; has leather seats and moonroof) w/CVT. He checked the low beam bulbs and fuses and they appear to be working. He has not pulled the high beam bulb, but put a multimeter onto the spot where you hook in the bulb. Neither the low or high beam on the passenger side appeared to be getting any juice. He went back and tested the highbeams on the driver’s side and got about 12 volts so it appears that the multimeter is working. Does anyone have insight into what’s going on here? If the bulbs and fuses seem fine then would that indicate a wiring issue? Or is there anything else it could be? If it is the wiring, is that DIYable or something we need to take it to the dealership for?

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
22 Posts
Does his car have individual relays as well? I know my third gen has that, just not sure if they changed that in gen4?

·
Registered
2008 OB 2.5i 5mt
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm, not sure but we will look into that. Sounds like you are suggesting that a relay may have gone bad?

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
22 Posts
Yea, if it does have the 2 replays you can swap them around and see if the problem swaps with that. Then you know for sure that it’s a relay. If not, maybe you have a chaffed wire or corroded connector somewhere in the circuit I would guess.

·
Registered
16,983 Posts
He checked the low beam bulbs and fuses and they appear to be working.
If the "Passenger side headlights are out" I presume that means both the low and high beam on that side are out. What does "appear to be working" refer to?

As I mentioned in your other thread, there's an individual fuse for the passenger side low beam bulb, and one for the passenger side high beam bulb. Both fuses are in the engine compartment fuse box. Note that in total there's four headlight fuses in the fuse box. Sure the right fuses were checked?

·
Registered
2008 OB 2.5i 5mt
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@plain OM thanks for clarifying the way this works. what appeared to be working were at least the bulbs themselves when plugged in to the drivers side socket. I'm not so sure about the fuses. Electrical stuff is new to me so it can be a little bewildering. Thanks for your help though!

·
Registered
16,983 Posts
Also, there's more than just the low and high beam headlights in each headlight assembly. There's parking lights, turn signals, and side markers. (Their locations are shown in section 12, Specifications, of the Owners Manual.) Do all the other bulbs in the passenger headlight assembly work?

·
Registered
2008 OB 2.5i 5mt
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m kind of putting this issue on the back burner at the moment. My dad has an appointment with the dealer for some other reason and they might just have them take care of the headlight. I wanted to use this problem as a learning opportunity but realistically I have more to worry about with my own car lol...

I do really appreciate the input though! If I find time to work in this I will return with more detailed info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts