Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our passenger power window has started to malfunction
Whether using passenger side control or driver side control, when we try to raise the window to the top (closed), it gets there but then suddenly lowers to half way. Any time we try to close completely it lowers back down to half way. Has any had this problem? How should I solve it?

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,474 Posts
It is very helpful, often essential, for you to provide details about the car you're having problems with. At the very minimum, year, model, and trim line (e.g. 2015 Outback Premium), and engine and transmission (if you know what they are) for problems involving, or might involve, the power train, suspension, and many other things. Saying what its color is has utmost importance! ;)

That said, there are several recent threads about this very problem.

As a short-term work around so you can get the window closed, roll that window up manually (don't pull the switch hard enough to activate the auto-close function) so that it's almost closed, stop, then close it the rest of the way. This works for me. You will have to roll it down at least a little bit before you can try rolling it up again - this is by design.

The root cause of the problem is that the anti-entrapment feature is sensing that the motor is having to work harder than it should to close the window, and automatically rolls the window down as a safety precaution. Since there's nothing actually trapped in there, something in the mechanical system is causing too much friction. This most likely seems to be the uppermost part of the weatherstrip lining the channel the window slides up and down in, but there might be other causes as well, or in addition.

If your car is still in its bumper-to-bumper warranty and this happens enough of the time that you can show them what it's doing, and it's not too inconvenient, you could take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it. Be advised, however, that they might replace some parts but not actually fix anything, or lubricate the track and call it good. Easier than that, even though it costs a little bit, your best bet may be to get a suitable lubricant and apply that to the channel yourself.

This is happening to me, and I sprayed a very small shot of this stuff into the rubber at the top front corner of window channel, and at least for now, it has mostly stopped having the problem - it started occasionally doing it again after more than a month, but not nearly as often, yet. It looks like I'll need to re-apply it, and will be more generous with the amount I use next time.

There are most likely other products that may work as well or better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is very helpful, often essential, for you to provide details about the car you're having problems with. At the very minimum, year, model, and trim line (e.g. 2015 Outback Premium), and engine and transmission (if you know what they are) for problems involving, or might involve, the power train, suspension, and many other things. Saying what its color is has utmost importance! ;)

That said, there are several recent threads about this very problem.

As a short-term work around so you can get the window closed, roll that window up manually (don't pull the switch hard enough to activate the auto-close function) so that it's almost closed, stop, then close it the rest of the way. This works for me. You will have to roll it down at least a little bit before you can try rolling it up again - this is by design.

The root cause of the problem is that the anti-entrapment feature is sensing that the motor is having to work harder than it should to close the window, and automatically rolls the window down as a safety precaution. Since there's nothing actually trapped in there, something in the mechanical system is causing too much friction. This most likely seems to be the uppermost part of the weatherstrip lining the channel the window slides up and down in, but there might be other causes as well, or in addition.

If your car is still in its bumper-to-bumper warranty and this happens enough of the time that you can show them what it's doing, and it's not too inconvenient, you could take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it. Be advised, however, that they might replace some parts but not actually fix anything, or lubricate the track and call it good. Easier than that, even though it costs a little bit, your best bet may be to get a suitable lubricant and apply that to the channel yourself.

This is happening to me, and I sprayed a very small shot of this stuff into the rubber at the top front corner of window channel, and at least for now, it has mostly stopped having the problem - it started occasionally doing it again after more than a month, but not nearly as often, yet. It looks like I'll need to re-apply it, and will be more generous with the amount I use next time.

There are most likely other products that may work as well or better.
Thank you so much for all the advice. I really apreciate it. Taking you advice...the car is a 2016 outback 2.5i limited.

I will try the lubricant today and report back.
Cheers.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,474 Posts
Yeah... but what color is it? :)

Seriously, do give it a try and let us know the result.

I suspect it will help, but feel the true fix would be replace the track lining, preferably with a re-engineered part. I wouldn't hold my breath on the latter happening, and just replacing the part with another just like it might help for a while, but as it ages, the replacement may well have the same problem down the road.

There are complaints about wind noise in some of the '15s. Mine isn't bad in that regard, but I have no intention to muck around with changing the window track for that reason, and plan to stick with this approach unless something better comes down the pike or it quits helping altogether.

Oh, yes - glad to help, and welcome to the forum!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts