Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2009 outback, limited, 117000 miles.

Finally got all the noises taken care of up front. Now I have the same, cyclic, whir, whir, whir noise that is dependent on road speed. I was driving it at very low speeds with the rear windows down, and determined that the noise was coming from the passenger rear wheel. Brakes are nearly new and rust free. Parking brake looks fine. I decided that it was the same thing as the front, an axle going bad. I've got everything off, brakes, and axle nut, now I can't get the axle to break loose from the bearing assembly.

Am I missing something, or am I just experiencing the dreaded rust frozen axle?

I've tried a wheel puller, big hammer, air hammer, LOTS of PB Blaster.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,426 Posts
Sounds like a wheel bearing issue to me....

That being said, there is a flange tool you can rent from autozone and use to push it off or you can use a gear puller.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Frustrated

I had been sitting there spinning the bearing and axle with a wrench and it was silent. Well, I got frustrated and put it all back together. The only thing I did different was I put the wear indicator pad on the outside this time. Took the car for a test drive. No noise. quiet as a mouse. Is there any chance the wear indicator was intermittently rubbing on something? Brakes only have 5k - 10k miles on them and look brand new.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,426 Posts
You might have a lazy caliper causing the pad to stick and rub. Did you check the slide pins? How hard is the piston to compress?

Unloaded the bearings don't always make noise.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Wheel bearings.

Brakes - did you regrease the rear slide pins? With what?

If you used cheap generic brake caliper grease then that's likely the problem the rear has a caliper slide pin bushing. You need to use Sil Glyde or other high quality grease and replace the slide pin bushings.

Pad clips could be hanging the pad - they can be bent, distorted, corroded.

It's not the axle. Subaru axles last the life of the vehicle, if the boots break they should be cleaned, regreased, rebooted. Subaru rear axles particularly so rarely fail it won't be believable unless verified by someone very familiar with Subarus.

The traditional "check for play" and "rotate by hand" tests are not telling on modern Subarus which routinely avoid detection. Of all the modern Subaru wheel bearings i've ever replaced I don't think one has ever showed play insitu and not many have exhibited noise when turned by hand. Noise is the first, most typical, and sometimes the only symptom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts