Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 2.5 CVT. Is it common for this transmission to take slightly longer to drop into drive than other transmissions? Mine doesn't quite seem to go into gear as quickly as other cars I have owned. The time lag is quite small but noticeably longer than I am used to. Has anyone else noticed the same thing?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yes and there are other threads on this. It is most noticable when backing out of a driveway and putting in drive. My wife hates it but I am getting used to it. Its normal, but kinda a frustration

·
Registered
38 Posts
That is pretty much my only annoyance with this car so far, I attribute it to the way the CVT Transmission functions. I live on a street that gets somewhat busy during School Arrival / Leaving times due to being near 2 schools. To avoid having to try and perform the reverse then forward maneuver that was much faster in my previous vehicles, I now just reverse into my driveway in the evening.

·
Registered
572 Posts
That is pretty much my only annoyance with this car so far, I attribute it to the way the CVT Transmission functions. I live on a street that gets somewhat busy during School Arrival / Leaving times due to being near 2 schools. To avoid having to try and perform the reverse then forward maneuver that was much faster in my previous vehicles, I now just reverse into my driveway in the evening.
Great idea. I could probably do that now that I have the cool backup camera on my rear view mirror!

·
Registered
375 Posts
It seems to be a quirk of the new CVT. The 2012 Impreza has the same hesitation. Not sure exactly what is causing it, but it feels like "backlash" you get on gear systems when reversing direction of a gear. Slack/slop/whatever will cause a delay before torque is applied completely through the system.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
LOL on my street which has a few neighbors who think its a **** race track - even if I could shift from revers to drive faster I'm still going to take my sweet time and make the fackers wait. With my truck I actually just back out and force them to stop given a few nut bags will try to drive around you even if your nearly mid street. After all its a 25mph residential street not a **** parkway or highway.

Nearly every time I have a car behind me as I turn left into my driveway 90% of the time even with signals going they will start to pass me on the left as I turn left into my driveway! You can't fix stupid!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Nearly every time I have a car behind me as I turn left into my driveway 90% of the time even with signals going they will start to pass me on the left as I turn left into my driveway! You can't fix stupid!
This is far too true. Our apartment complex uses a road that runs in a loop around the apartments, and a roundabout at the entrance to the loop. Every time I encounter someone coming the other way, I have to check to see if they will go around the roundabout or just cut through and risk hitting me head-on. Also have a lot of people who just drive down the middle of the road or the left side of the road, also risking a collision when you don't even pull to the right in the presence of oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
from "Top Gun" ..."Too close for missiles, switching to guns."
LOL
The part I don't get is they live here! It's not like the rest of us don't know who the idiot is that keeps blasting up and down the street or tries to pass on the left when a neighbor is turning left into their driveway. LOL

One of the neighbors is by far the worst and I think there about 6 of us on the street that go out of our way to force him to stop and wait for us as we pull into or out of our driveways. LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ha! You must live in my neighborhood. One of my favorite past times is driving the speed limit (25 mph) and watching the soccer mom in the SUV come roaring up behind me and go absolutely bananas as she sits 6 inches off my bumper. Then I'll signal to turn left into my driveway; this does not concern her and she will continue to ride so close I can count her eyelashes in the rear view.

Then I stand on the brakes and watch her have a stroke as she tries to stop in time.

Good times...

Oh yeah...my Outback does the same thing. Takes forever to drop into drive. I watch people cuss me out in the mirror almost every morning. Doesn't concern me as they are driving 50 in a 25 at 7am. Backing into the garage is a good idea. Eventually my luck will run out and a 3 ton SUV will take me out.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Ha! You must live in my neighborhood. One of my favorite past times is driving the speed limit (25 mph) and watching the soccer mom in the SUV come roaring up behind me and go absolutely bananas as she sits 6 inches off my bumper. Then I'll signal to turn left into my driveway; this does not concern her and she will continue to ride so close I can count her eyelashes in the rear view.

Then I stand on the brakes and watch her have a stroke as she tries to stop in time.

Good times...

Oh yeah...my Outback does the same thing. Takes forever to drop into drive. I watch people cuss me out in the mirror almost every morning. Doesn't concern me as they are driving 50 in a 25 at 7am. Backing into the garage is a good idea. Eventually my luck will run out and a 3 ton SUV will take me out.
23 lashes on the left eye and 15 on the right eye - upper lid? **** what color is your OB? HA HA - the soccer mom epidemic is pretty bad. My top favorite is the one that hooks a Uturn every morning right through the crosswalk infront of the school! She nearly took out 4 kids crossing the street because she thought all the cars stopped were waiting for her not the kids in the cross walk! I was convinced for sure I would see a parent go after her after that. Same **** parent every day doing the illegal Uturn right through the crosswalk after dropping their spawn off just at the corner of the school driveway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes and there are other threads on this. It is most noticable when backing out of a driveway and putting in drive. Its normal, but kinda a frustration
Same here. I thought it was just me getting used to the car at first. Now I make sure I have totally stopped, wait a second, and then shift into drive. Still a slight pause but better than rolling backward. And I, too, have idiots racing through a residential development.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the pause and the same idiot neighbors. It's actually amazing to see some of the faux racers bottom out their cars going over the large speed bump we have...

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a 2013 2.5 CVT. Is it common for this transmission to take slightly longer to drop into drive than other transmissions? Mine doesn't quite seem to go into gear as quickly as other cars I have owned. The time lag is quite small but noticeably longer than I am used to. Has anyone else noticed the same thing?
Maybe not as swift as my wife's minivan, but this is my first automatic in 37 years. It's no different than it took for me to change directions with my manual.

I read somewhere these can't backup up steep stuff and that worried me but I was able to back up a 4x4 only road I travel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have had our 1st Subaru a 2013 OB 2.5 Limited for about 3 weeks and absolutly love everthing about the car. The shift into drive concerned me from day 1. Day 2 I called service and they assured me this was normal with a chuckle. I live outside of small town USA so crazy driving neighbors aren't a problem. If this is the only problem I ever have with this OB I'll be happy to get used to this CVT transmission.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I live in a 15mph school zone, but unfortunately it's also right around the corner from a High School and High School kids don't seem to know the meaning of the 15 on the speed limit signs. Plus add the illegal immigrant population of my town into the mix and you have a recipe for disaster if you don't get out of the driveway and up to speed. I swear the High School Kids & Illegals don't even know what a brake pedal does either!

I also live in a corner house and even tho there is a stop sign on the street my house fronts onto, my car port at the side of the house is not ideally situated for reversing out of when the same High School Kids and illegal immigrants ignore the stop sign and just blast around the corner. Although with the atrocious loud music most of these individuals also play - I'd almost prefer they didn't stop right outside my house!

Reversing into my car port and driving straight out is definitely the better option with the slow transition from Reverse to Forward movement.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My 300C does this as well. Like there's some lag time between pulling the shifter into D and the computers letting it happen. With the Chrysler though, I'd say the lag is even longer. And if you start to push down on the throttle, it doesn't give any power to the motor -natural instinct says to push farther- so when the planets/computers do align, you take off in a tire squealing redneck sort of way... or at least your wife who seldom drives the car does ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 300C does this as well. Like there's some lag time between pulling the shifter into D and the computers letting it happen. With the Chrysler though, I'd say the lag is even longer. And if you start to push down on the throttle, it doesn't give any power to the motor -natural instinct says to push farther- so when the planets/computers do align, you take off in a tire squealing redneck sort of way... or at least your wife who seldom drives the car does ;)
And here's me thinking that was just how ALL 300C drivers drove, I guess it's just the car! ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
My '11 and '13 did this but it takes all of 1 full second. If you need to move faster just rev it in N a few times on the way to D and that should do the trick. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
14 Participants
rustwood
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing