Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6 Touring (Canadian, so Premium I guess?)
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When replacing the PCV Valve, just thread it back in or do you put on teflon tape, anti-seize, or some other thing I don't know about.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

·
Registered
'10 3.6R Outback Limited, 2zr swapped Toyota Yaris track toy, '12 Mazda3 skyactiv
743 Posts
When replacing the PCV Valve, just thread it back in or do you put on teflon tape, anti-seize, or some other thing I don't know about.

Thanks in advance.
I'd recommend avoiding teflon tape. When you remove it some strands tend to stick to the block. This makes it hard to remove without some falling in the head.

Use pipe dope if you want to ensure a good seal. I have used anti seize before and never had a vacuum leak but it isn't meant to "seal". Just don't over torque, especially using anti seize.

FWIW the metal PCV valves rarely ever need to be replaced, just spray both ends with brake clean until it jiggles freely.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I’m being perfectly honest, the only reason I’m looking to replace it is because it’s listed on the 36 month service list to “inspect and replace if necessary”. For $30 or whatever it costs for the valve, I can just replace it and be done with it for another 3 years.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2018 should still under warranty so...
it is, and I have the extended warranty, and extremely low mileage (Like 28k kms). I just figured even if they billed 0.1 hours @$139/hr to “inspect” it, may as well just replace it myself, or am I overthinking this and should I just forget it until it starts causing problems?

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon 3.0 VDC
358 Posts
The pcv valve goes along with all the other "preventative maintenance" its cheap enough and easy enough then do it now BEFORE it causes problems. It just makes sense.

Smae goes for things like spark plugs for example, would you rather change them as a maintenance item and keep your car running sweet?
Or wait until you get a misfire which can then cause possible damage to other components like the Catalyst?

·
Registered
'10 3.6R Outback Limited, 2zr swapped Toyota Yaris track toy, '12 Mazda3 skyactiv
743 Posts
it is, and I have the extended warranty, and extremely low mileage (Like 28k kms). I just figured even if they billed 0.1 hours @$139/hr to “inspect” it, may as well just replace it myself, or am I overthinking this and should I just forget it until it starts causing problems?
Definitely don't wait until it starts causing issues (however that won't be for a while assuming you do decently long drive every week or so)

But save your $30 and just spray brake clean through both ends. Their design is so simple they almost cannot fail, they just get gummed up by oil vapor over time. Brake clean easily cleans it out for the same amount of time it takes to unbox the new one.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Definitely don't wait until it starts causing issues (however that won't be for a while assuming you do decently long drive every week or so)
Nope. Looks like I'll be cleaning it out once the weather warms up, thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts