Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing the oil in my wife's 99 Jetta, I use Mobil 1 in all my cars. Everything was normal until I went to add the new oil. I found this. :eek:

I thought it might have been from somebody adding conventional oil, a very likely possibility since we had just had the oil pressure sensor replaced and maybe oil needed to be added after the repair. I had heard that you aren't suppose to mix synthetic and conventional oil as they will congeal.

I called Mobil 1, they told me there wouldn't be any ill effects on the engine if this had happened, as long as both oils followed the specifications for that engine.

Any thoughts?

Oh, at WalMart this weekend I purchased a 5 quart container of Mobil 1 for $20. Best price I've seen, but it may have been a temporary "Rollback".

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Holy crabcakes Batman, I've never seen anything like it. Change the oil right away, and hope there isn't any ill effects. And funny you shall say, I was at Wally World today during the blizzard of '04 and had seen the same...5qts of Mobil 1 5w30 which I use, for $19.95 or so. Wal Mart has been changing their Mobil 1 prices on and off for 1.5 years, almost quarterly. The same jug two months ago when I bought my last was over $23. Brian

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some folks from the Club B5 (5th generation Passat) discussion board thought it was either coolant leaking into the oil or condensation. I checked the coolant level and it's fine, so I'm going with condensation. I have been parking the Jetta outside to make room for the OB, so that would go along with the condensation theory.

After running the car for a little while I pulled it into the garage and when I took the oil filler cap off there was some fluid, not oil, dripping off of it. It was clear in nature so again I think that points too condensation.

I'll be taking it into the shop on Thursday for its 60k service, I'll let you know what the wrench comes up with.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Condensation? On the inside of your engine? I think that isn't much of a possibility. And as for parking it outside, here in Omaha there hasn't been humidity over 40% for weeks. I don't have any real answers but that one sounds funny. Brian

·
Registered
172 Posts
How far do you normally drive your car each day? If you only drive short trips then you maybe experiencing condensation (but I doubt it, I think its worse than that). The problem is if you only drive short distances (especially in winter) then the motor doesn't get up to a high enough temp to boil off the condensation that develops inside the motor. Minimum trips should be 20 minutes.

I would firstly change your oil (after warming it up) and then go for a very long drive to try and boil off the remainder of the condensation.

If the condensation comes back then I believe you have problems with a gasket somewhere allowing coolant into your motor.

·
Registered
194 Posts
subah6 said:
How far do you normally drive your car each day? If you only drive short trips then you maybe experiencing condensation (but I doubt it, I think its worse than that). The problem is if you only drive short distances (especially in winter) then the motor doesn't get up to a high enough temp to boil off the condensation that develops inside the motor.

If the condensation comes back then I believe you have problems with a gasket somewhere allowing coolant into your motor.
After showing this to someone that works with me, we agree that this might be your problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mechanic said that this is common on this engine and it was nothing to worry about. I did some checking on some VW Jetta forums and it seems that this is very common with this engine. It was also mentioned that coolant could cause this as well, but then the oil I would have drained would have been milky, and it was fine.

Thanks for all the replys, hopefully I'll see this stuff disappear as the weather gets warmer.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
I find that odd if that is normal. Did it say on the window sticker that you never have to buy peanut butter again due to the abnormality of the engine? Oh well. Brian

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ditto condensation, altough i've not seen so much of it in ours. The long fill tube cools off quickly, unlike the fill port at the cam cover or valve in other engines. So the water condenses, mixing with the film of oil sprayed up there.

OTOH - there's a lot of it in your case. So to be sure, drain some warm oil into a jar & look for signs of water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
OhBe1
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing