Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,583 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sales are down across the industry including Subaru but Outback sales are soaring. Pretty interesting

I looked up Jan and Feb Outback sales and they were way down from last years numbers as far as I can see. The only reason they are up in March are the lease deals and the Subaru to Dealer incentives. I was not ready to buy in March but am in April and they look to have the same incentives. I am looking for 6-7 thousand off on loaded 2.5 Limited. My local dealer only wanted to give me $3600 off on a cash deal and steal my 2013 Outback Premium with 34,000 miles on it. They say they only pay for good condition even though mine is in almost showroom condition with new tires, battery, wiper blades, pcv valve, air filter, cabin filter, oil and filter change, brand new carpet mats and WeatherTec liners front and back. All they need to do is drive it in the lot and sell it. I figure they will make $4000 on my trade in alone.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lots of companies using great financing including 0% to lure you in. I gues it just shows the attraction of the Outback. As a potential purchaser I'm paying close attention as I drive around and here in MA they are everywhere. It's the Swiss Army knife of SUV's for a great majority it seems.
Fiancé test driving RAV4 Hybrid tonight (I work for Toyota dealership) and big decisions looming for placing the order. My heart says 3.6R but she is the one buying.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Last year before stop/start is added? That's why I didn't wait for the 2020.[/QUOTE

It is not been confirmed but I would bet S/S is implemented on the 2.5 update(Forester) but not sure about the 2.4DIT since the Ascent does not have it. Most people I have talked to hate it and say is not refined on the 19 Forester. Some folks like it.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I doubt that the feature of start/stop has a great bearing upon the largely uninformed masses who go in to a showroom to buy a new car.

The Outback is a station-wagon that has some mild off-street cred and fits an self-image for owners who want to appear environmentally-conscious, safe but willing to strap a kayak on the roof or to car camp out of the back of it. In that regard it is a bit of a niche player but in an arena where more folks want to be seen fitting in to.

You can deny that its an SUV but it has many of the same capabilities and it isn't a sedan so you can haul around your stuff.

The people who hang out in this forum are pretty committed to the model so most of us know about the different features that get changed in each generation. What stirs us up is largely unappreciated by the larger car buying audience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lots of companies using great financing including 0% to lure you in. I gues it just shows the attraction of the Outback. As a potential purchaser I'm paying close attention as I drive around and here in MA they are everywhere. It's the Swiss Army knife of SUV's for a great majority it seems.
Fiancé test driving RAV4 Hybrid tonight (I work for Toyota dealership) and big decisions looming for placing the order. My heart says 3.6R but she is the one buying.

I noticed you are from Ma. What have you heard about Planet Subaru? They seem to be an up front Subaru dealer. I live 120 miles from them now but I will be going to MA in a couple weeks for 3 weeks so I will be pretty close to them. I was thinking of buying it there and have them deliver the car to me in Maine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm in some Internet negotiations with them now. My problem is my fiancé and I don't want option 24 with the NAV, Sunfoof, etc. No dealer carries them and she stated that Subaru Of New England doesn't order any Outbacks that way so if Planet custom ordered a car for me they would not get credit. Sounds fishy and makes no sense to me. That being said Outbacks with the option 24 are getting so heavily discounted that it could be an option for us. RAB and adaptive headlights would be nice to have. Option 24 is a $2000 up charge and a bloated money maker IMO for dealers. NAV is outdated from the get go and we'd prefer not to have a sunroof.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I'm in some Internet negotiations with them now. My problem is my fiancé and I don't want option 24 with the NAV, Sunfoof, etc. No dealer carries them and she stated that Subaru Of New England doesn't order any Outbacks that way so if Planet custom ordered a car for me they would not get credit. Sounds fishy and makes no sense to me. That being said Outbacks with the option 24 are getting so heavily discounted that it could be an option for us. RAB and adaptive headlights would be nice to have. Option 24 is a $2000 up charge and a bloated money maker IMO for dealers. NAV is outdated from the get go and we'd prefer not to have a sunroof.
It's not surprising that there would be certain packages in your region that are standard. Just count yourself lucky that Ernie Boch Jr. didn't make baby-poop brown as the standard color for every Subaru in New England. Pretty much it is one guy up there that dictates what all of those dealerships have available to them.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
smart people buy the last year model of a generation. It has all the kinks worked out and is perfected. These people would never buy a first model year model....
factory workers have been making them for 4 straight years, they know where all the clips go etc, and what is takes.
A new model year, the factory workers are learning how to put them together....and the qaulityt is lower. due to that alone

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
smart people buy the last year model of a generation. It has all the kinks worked out and is perfected. These people would never buy a first model year model....
factory workers have been making them for 4 straight years, they know where all the clips go etc, and what is takes.
A new model year, the factory workers are learning how to put them together....and the qaulityt is lower. due to that alone
I think its a "pig in a poke";

A new model also means that quality assurance folks and engineers will be climbing all over the assembly line people and watching intently. It would not be surprising to find that there is an entire block of apartments rented out for a year for teams of engineers to temporarily relocate from Japan to the US to just watch the build process and build quality. I have some experience in that regard; as an engineer I have been tasked with similar duties on new projects to just make sure that fabrication was going exactly to plan and to quickly adapt to any quirks that come up in the process.

Older assembly lines, the tooling is a little looser, maybe slightly out of spec... after all, it is going to get torn out in a few months. Why spend $50K on rehabilitating a jig or some quirky sensor that fails only once out of every 20 units.

New assembly line, freshly trained workers who have not picked up any bad habits (we are all naturally lazy and will take short-cuts in any process), engineers and management watching over your shoulder offering helpful (and extremely annoying) advice and feedback. The joys of new product rollout. I have a few early production runs of the things we make (electronics), the build quality is superb. We hadn't gotten to the point of accepting looser tolerances because "they will still work" with a slightly lower component quality.

Manufacturers do that, you build to the design, then you try to shave off pennies here and there in subsequent years to improve margin or to drop the rework percentage because the flaws are in areas that a customer may never see.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Last year before stop/start is added? That's why I didn't wait for the 2020.

Not so much start and stop for us as the end of the H6.

So far wife is getting similar mileage in the 3.6 as she did in the 2011 Legacy 2.5 6 speed.

Also, global platform did wonders for the Forester, that said to us the Forester never felt the same as the Legacy and Outback- always felt cheaper, not as solid so I don't think the Global Platform will make as big a difference for the Outback as it did the Forester.

·
Registered
192 Posts

It's not just your area. As I mentioned I have over 10 dealers within an hour or so of me. We found the only 3.6 limited base any where in the DC area.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
It's not just your area. As I mentioned I have over 10 dealers within an hour or so of me. We found the only 3.6 limited base any where in the DC area.
That would be expected. There is little demand for the 3.6. I suspect even less for a 3.6 base. I'm surprised you found one anywhere. I would guess a canceled customer order.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
And THAT'S the biggest difference between the rest of the country and the SNE/SDC area. If I want a KDK 21 (and I actually have one in my inventory), all I have to do is get on SubieNet and order it for my customer. Up there, the stores have to play 'Mother, May I?" with SNE/SDC to get a vehicle. Note that as of right now, I can still order one for July delivery, but that window is rapidly closing.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And THAT'S the biggest difference between the rest of the country and the SNE/SDC area. If I want a KDK 21 (and I actually have one in my inventory), all I have to do is get on SubieNet and order it for my customer. Up there, the stores have to play 'Mother, May I?" with SNE/SDC to get a vehicle. Note that as of right now, I can still order one for July delivery, but that window is rapidly closing.
Yeah, I really have no use for Ernie Boch Jr. Some bad experiences with Boch dealerships and I'm not gonna play the "mother may I" if I don't have to. Going outside the NE region doesn't bother me one bit. My last 2 cars were from TN (a mint condition car which was totaled by a kid in a snow storm) and then it's replacement which I bought from FL. Both required a plane flight and long road trip. Loved it!

So Carl lets see what you could do for me. I'll PM you my option requests for a KDK 21. Love to take a trip to OK in July :smile2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Drove a Renault with stop/start last fall in Europe (don't remember the model - perhaps a Captur?, wasn't noteworthy). Can't say I liked it.
Come up to a traffic light, engine dies (gauges go to zero, no engine vibration) - made me feel uncertain. In almost 60 years of driving, I've come to associate that with a 'BAD THING' - usually followed by manually pushing the car out of traffic.
Given a choice, I would NOT choose stop/start.

·
Super Moderator
25,263 Posts
Drove a Renault with stop/start last fall in Europe (don't remember the model - perhaps a Captur?, wasn't noteworthy). Can't say I liked it.
Come up to a traffic light, engine dies (gauges go to zero, no engine vibration) - made me feel uncertain. In almost 60 years of driving, I've come to associate that with a 'BAD THING' - usually followed by manually pushing the car out of traffic.
Given a choice, I would NOT choose stop/start.
just for asking,

what are you using for equipment and internet connection, as you have the weirdest IP address ?:nerd:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts