Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring w/EyeSight
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are in our 40's. 10yrs ago, we used to go camping "a lot" -- which was really about 8 times/yr from Memorial Day to Labor Day. We had a '99 Land Rover Discovery Series I and 2003 Honda Accord EX-L V6.

We just don't camp like we used to. Haven't gone at all the last few years.

The Rover was ultimately replaced with a 2003 Tundra TRD (currently ~43K miles) with a topper, and augmented by a '91 Subaru Legacy wagon (FWD). Later replaced the Subaru with a 2004 Astro Cargo (RWD).

Replaced the Accord with a 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited, and then traded it for a 2013 Acura RDX Base AWD. I also bought a 2005 Outback XT (currently ~106.5K miles).

So now we have 4 vehicles, when we really only need 2 (although a 3rd is handy). 4 really is too many, although the van only has not even 87K and full-coverage insurance is only $37.50/month.

Except for when I had the Rover, I've always had a truck. I kind of feel like I should just have a truck. I don't have a great feel for how many miles I drive per year, but I would guess less-than 5K. I've only driven the van 7K in the last 3yrs. I kind of "need" a real 4x4 for ~10-days/yr elk-hunting.

For whatever reason, we bought the extended 7yr/100k warranty and lifetime oil-changes and key fob / tire warranty on the RDX - so I expect we'll have it for a while. That said - my wife really likes the looks of the 2013 Accord.

I was leading up to asking whether I should swap the Tundra, Astro, and Outback for a 4Runner, but as I lay it all out I think we'd be better-off swapping the Astro & Outback for an Accord and keeping the Tundra.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Yep, option #2. Get rid of the OB and Astro. The 4Runner is too much like the RDX.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Premium | 2007 Outback 2.5i
339 Posts
Although I am not a big fan of Acura (smile faces front and rear) I would probably label that as your "family" vehicle - the one you default to when you have to travel some distance (you and your wife) on a road trip that stays on the road and the one that should get the most miles put on it. I am guessing from what you said that your wife puts more miles on a car each year and since the RDX is a car chassis, it will ride like the Accord - so put her in the RDX and go get a 4 Door Wrangler. That way when you go back to your camping days you'll have a vehicle that can go there with you and it accept the 7k miles a year of daily driving that you put on it.

Of course, 2nd generation Forester could be substituted for 4-D Wrangler and with a lift and some tires could be just as much fun and capable.
[if there is any loyalty to Subaru to be spoken for in this scenario]

:)

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Why do you want to trade in a brand new RDX for a brand new Accord? Is the RDX just not what your wife wanted? It has better specs than the Accord. If I had to choose between the two brands I would go with the Acura in a heartbeat. If she is determined to get rid of the RDX, have her drive a TL SH-AWD first thing before switching to a FWD Honda. It is a simply fantastic daily driver and road car, and is great in winter, with the low ground clearance being the limiting factor. It's big and massive and very safe, yet still a hoot to drive. It's very fast.

The Tundra is a good truck but it isn't what you would call a hunting rig due to it's large size. If you plan to stick with forest roads there will be no issues, but if you want to go where your Disco used to go, you are in trouble. Have you driven the latest gen Wrangler? The new V6 is impressive and the Rubicon version is even more capable than your Disco.... If you want even more power for the passes you can slap a RIPP supercharger on it ;)

An alternative would be the new Grand Cherokee with 8 speed auto, preferably with the wonderful 3.0 turbo diesel. This could be used as a DD and also as a really capable trail rig, as long as you are aware of possible body damage. Of course, what Jeepers are really waiting for is this engine in a Wrangler. ....

2014 Diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee: First Drive

I've looked over the new GC and IMHO it is pretty darn nice.

Have you looked at Land Cruisers? They combine superior off road ability with interior luxury and long distance comfort. MY DD is a trail rigged '96 LX450....

Your post is convoluted and a little hard to follow. Maybe you should elaborate a little about your and your wife's specific desires.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why do you want to trade in a brand new RDX for a brand new Accord? Is the RDX just not what your wife wanted? It has better specs than the Accord. If I had to choose between the two brands I would go with the Acura in a heartbeat. If she is determined to get rid of the RDX, have her drive a TL SH-AWD first thing before switching to a FWD Honda. It is a simply fantastic daily driver and road car, and is great in winter, with the low ground clearance being the limiting factor. It's big and massive and very safe, yet still a hoot to drive.
No, the plan is to keep the RDX.

We had the 2003 Accord that she LOVED. Drove it 10yrs / ~155K. We had a 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited that just wasn't working for us, so we traded BOTH of those for the 2013 RDX. Thinking that single vehicle was a nice compromise between the two. She still misses the Accord, but like I said we have so much invested in the RDX I think we'll just keep it and I'll drive it. Get rid of my 2005 Outback XT and the Astro Cargo.

I've mentioned the TL, but she thinks the Accord is "good enough" and the TL w/SH-AWD isn't worth another ~$10K.

The Tundra is a good truck but it isn't what you would call a hunting rig due to it's large size. If you plan to stick with forest roads there will be no issues, but if you want to go where your Disco used to go, you are in trouble. Have you driven the latest gen Wrangler? The new V6 is impressive and the Rubicon version is even more capable than your Disco.... If you want even more power you can slap a RIPP supercharger on it ;)

An alternative would be the new Grand Cherokee diesel with 8 speed auto, preferably with the wonderful 3.0 turbo diesel. This could be used as a DD and also as a really capable trail rig, as long as you are aware of possible body damage. Of course, what Jeepers are really waiting for is this engine in a Wrangler. .... 2014 Diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee: First Drive

I've looked over the new GC and IMHO it is pretty darn nice.

Your post is convoluted and a little hard to follow. Maybe you should elaborate a little about your and your wife's specific desires.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
The 2003 Tundra is the previous generation, so it's very similar in size to the current Tacoma. You are correct, it's not ideal for jeep trails, but when we're hunting we're limited to forest roads anyway. Motorized vehicles aren't permitted off the existing trails. Most of the hunters are in trucks -- a lot also have ATV's, but those are limited to existing trails as well (per the Forest Service).

The truck only has 43K. I don't drive it that often, but it's nice to have. I'll probably keep it forever, although I do waffle about keeping it around for the couple times a year that we actually need a truck.
--

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That turbo diesel Jeep is awesome. I'm a big fan of diesel, and I think turbo's really help at this altitude.

I used to drive a 2001 F250 with the 7.3L turbo diesel. Was a great truck for towing. I actually traded it for that 2003 Accord. Missed having a truck around, so we bought the 2003 Tundra and sold the 1999 Land Rover Discovery Series I. The Land Rover was expensive to maintain and depreciated like you just wouldn't believe. The Toyota has been awesome in comparison.
-

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
LOL sounds like you have Auto Thrombosis or something along those lines.

I will admit that having three cars is very nice we have the Gen4 OB which does all the every day stuff and most of the road trips when its just us no added guests etc.

Wife has the old VW which she uses as the Train parking lot vehicle and occasional commuter across the Bay Etc. Then we have the Sequoia which I usually end up driving on the weekends to haul either people or crap.

Hey get it down to three keep the TRD and put a Offroad Camper on it. Light weight 800lbs pop top with the Artic package. You might go camping more if you have a warm comfy bed and a way to have coffee in the morning without freezing your bits off.

I could see us going this route in a few years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0sMtrvKKCc
Fun video and some places I want to see!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think there's much camping in the future. At least not the way we've done it in the past. All of our friends have moved to pop-ups.

The "deal" I made when I bought the 2005 OBXT was that I'd sell the Van. I should still sell it.

I drove the OBXT for a couple months to make sure it was going to work out for me, then I cleaned-out and cleaned-up the Van to get it ready to sell. That reminded me how great the van is for buzzing around town. Quick run to Sam's Club, or Costco, or Home Depot, or WalMart or whatever. It's not so awesome on the Interstate @ 80mph, but it's great around town @ 35mph - 55mph.

The OBXT is awesome on the Interstate, but with the 5MT it's kind of a hassle around town this winter. It might be better when Spring arrives and everything warms up.

She still refers to that 2003 Accord EX-L V6 as "the best car ever" and the RDX just isn't filling those shoes. It's more power, more torque, faster, and better MPG than my OBXT, and with we have into the RDX I'm inclined to keep it around.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
My wife and I are in our 40's …. We had:

...…'99 Land Rover Discovery Series I

…...…'03 Honda Accord EX-L V6

……...…'03 Tundra TRD with a topper

……………'91 Subaru Legacy wagon

………………'04 Astro Cargo (RWD)

…………………'11 Outback 2.5i Limited

……………………'13 Acura RDX Base AWD

………………………'05 Outback XT
I think you're due for a rag top.

Looby

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
No argument there a car is always going to be a nicer experience than the jazzed up wagon / CUV which the RDX is essentially that. For comfort and driving enjoyment I would take the Accord over the RDX also. So can't blame her for that thought.

Dump the Van I recall you have had it some time now so not like you lost any value probably actually saw some value increase with the crazy used car prices we have today.

Check out the FWC campers they are really nice light compact units. They make them in Woodland California not far from me. My Uncle just put one on his 2012 Tundra his first ever brand new car. He's headed to Yellow Stone with it in June for a three week trip. Then he's headed to his Montana Cabin for a few weeks this is his first cab over type rig and he's loving it. Very little impact on mileage or ride given his camper is about 800lbs and when put down in the road mode it has a very small profile. He has the Artic package making the pop up sides insulated and more or less solid walls. The windows have a brilliant design which makes for fully functioning windows which you can cover up with insulated covers when its cold etc.

Really Really nice set up. I want one after seeing his! HA HA

I ran 2000lbs of demo debri over to the dump last month house project renovation which we just finished this week. Brick hearth removed fancy new cabinets on both sides of the fire place - tile around the fire place and hearth right across the front of the 36,000 BTU gas unit turned out really nice! Looks great! Pick up a cheap 5x6 or 4x6 utility trailer for your hauling needs. So far the 2500lb rated 4x6 with the ability to do tall sides has been near perfect size for all the crap hauling needs. Easy to store and easy to tow also at 12ft bumper to hitch.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dump the Van I recall you have had it some time now so not like you lost any value probably actually saw some value increase with the crazy used car prices we have today.
Yeah, I think I can get at LEAST what I paid for it. I did have to replace the fuel pump (expensive!), front shocks, idler arms, and starter. Don't think I'll be able to recoup all of that. The tires aren't awesome, but probably not worth replacing at this point. I need to do SOMETHING before the end of the month. Either sell the Van, or renew the tags ($78/yr). There's a $25/month penalty if I don't renew or sell the van by the end of the month.

Pick up a cheap 5x6 or 4x6 utility trailer for your hauling needs. So far the 2500lb rated 4x6 with the ability to do tall sides has been near perfect size for all the crap hauling needs. Easy to store and easy to tow also at 12ft bumper to hitch.
I've been pushing the idea of a trailer for a while now. My wife just won't go for it. I'd be much more inclined to get rid of the Van if I could replace it with a trailer, but as far as my wife is concerned they're each eyesores. We just don't have anywhere to store a trailer.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
$19.95 local one day Uhaul trailers work pretty good for the junk hauling. Did that for a long time. I use the trailer to haul my little boat to the club and it doubles as our tent trailer too so wife has a hard time trying to find a way to say it needs to go. LOL

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL sounds like you have Auto Thrombosis or something along those lines.
In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have pushed for replacing the 2003 Accord EX-L V6 & 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited with the RDX. Should have just gotten another Accord.

Since we haven't been camping lately, we've kind of replaced that activity with short trips. There's a lot to see and do in the area (CO, WY, NM, UT, AZ). We also buzz up the MN once or twice a year. I still feel like the RDX / Outback is a great fit for that stuff.

Just not quite so ideal for the vast majority of the driving she does.
--

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
$19.95 local one day Uhaul trailers work pretty good for the junk hauling. Did that for a long time.
I've never actually done that, but I think it makes a LOT of sense. I've definitely considered it.

After ~8yrs without a truck (and missing it), I'm a little surprised how infrequently I actually find myself driving it. It is still pretty much perfect for elk hunting though.
--

·
Registered
2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
420 Posts
I've never actually done that, but I think it makes a LOT of sense. I've definitely considered it.

After ~8yrs without a truck (and missing it), I'm a little surprised how infrequently I actually find myself driving it. It is still pretty much perfect for elk hunting though.
--
I know you're talking about ditching the OB but the XT pulls that Uhaul utility trailer really easily. You barely know it's there. It's also fun blowing the civic next to you away, while pulling a trailer. Hypothetically speaking of course......

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Well when my mom was looking to replace the Altima her list was.
Altima, Camry and Accord
She added the Legacy when I told her they had just redesigned it to compete with those three on space and comfort etc.

Three months later I got the call to go buy her car that she had made a choice.
To my surprise she wanted the Legacy. She said it beat all of them on price for what she wanted and there were a couple of little minor things she found with the other makers that she didn't like and the Legacy didn't have those issues.

So before you get crazy on the Accord make sure she looks at the major players in that class. You might be surprised. Having done lots of driving in the Legacy that would be a great road trip car also. Little smoother ride not as stiff as the Honda and AWD for the foul weather conditions you might cross and cheaper! HA HA

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know you're talking about ditching the OB
Well I suppose we could trade the 2013 RDX for an Accord and call it done.

Our thinking when we bought the RDX was that we'd keep it "forever", so we bought the extended 7yr/100K warranty, plus lifetime oil changes, plus key fob / tire replacement, etc. All the stuff they push on you as you sign your life away. I'm kind of inclined to keep it for a while and recoup some of that.
--

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Hey Aos some times the auto maker will give you your cash back ie return the extended warranty or carry it over to another car if you find you don't like this one and swap to say the Accord. However Honda isn't well known for being nice to customers given Honda "sh;t doesn't stink" in their eyes

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
before you get crazy on the Accord make sure she looks at the major players in that class. You might be surprised. Having done lots of driving in the Legacy that would be a great road trip car also. Little smoother ride not as stiff as the Honda and AWD for the foul weather conditions you might cross and cheaper! HA HA
I've suggested that a couple times too. Some of her friends have the Legacy and love it. She's just not interested.

I would tend to agree though -- the Legacy would seem like the perfect solution.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts