Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone buy one of the $69 performance chips advertized in the ads section? GForce is the name of the product.

I have a 2000 OBW. I doubt they can really work. Any experience........anyone?

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,438 Posts

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
BTW, this thing connects to the air intake temperature sensor. I think all it does is trick it into thinking the air is colder, which will increase timing up to around 3deg. The ecu only increases timing there because it is less likely to knock at cold temps, so it can work more efficiently and make more power. When you add 3deg of timing across the board, you are begging for knock. This is just a theory since they would probably never tell what it is actually doing.

·
Registered
Black '07 XT, stock and well maintained. Looking for 300AWHP!
27 Posts
Anyone actually try one? It would be interesting to have one tested. $69, is cheap as long as the person doing the testing did not hurt the car. Seabass I know you have said that the free flowing air filtrs can induce knock but we in N.Y. have 93 octane fueland I believe Washington has 91 octane. If so the 2 octane points would likely take the 3* of timing increase. Perehaps the extra protection would allow this chip or the filter to enhance performance?

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
The chips are just dangerous. The drop in filters simply throw off the maf scaling a little bit. The afe filter that I used that induced knock was when I was in S Fl using 93. I assume it would only be worse with the 92 we have here. It's crazy to drop $69 for a bad mod that will not give you gains when you have an engine that is ridiculously de-tuned stock. IOW, you'd have MUCH better results with just a tune. If you decide to go with one of those panel filters, just make sure you buy a vag-com cable for logging and make sure there's no knock above 1.0 load during a few 3rd gear pulls from 2k-redline. Many have seen the same results that I have, so it's just not a good idea.

On an engine that likes to blow ringlands, it's best to do things right. There's also no excuse when there is free logging software to check things over.

And $69 for a <$1 resistor is in no way a good deal.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R Limited
70 Posts
Anyone actually try one? It would be interesting to have one tested. $69, is cheap as long as the person doing the testing did not hurt the car. Seabass I know you have said that the free flowing air filtrs can induce knock but we in N.Y. have 93 octane fueland I believe Washington has 91 octane. If so the 2 octane points would likely take the 3* of timing increase. Perehaps the extra protection would allow this chip or the filter to enhance performance?
Why don't you try it can report back the results?

I can't find the page where someone conducted a study of various performance chips (some are legit but gf is NOT), but this should be interesting as well:

GForce Performance Chips | Ripoff Report | Complaints Reviews Scams Lawsuits Frauds Reported

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
Very simple. They can easily spread misinformation to sell their products. It works for many vehicle owners because most people don't know how their ecu's work and don't have the ability to find out. I'd bet the chips are harmless on the n/a 2.5 and will give zero benefit. But on a turbo 2.5, it would likely be very dangerous.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
Sometimes you wonder why some businesses still exists
and manage to sustain...
"There are more fools than knaves in the world, else
the knaves would not have enough to live upon."

- Samuel Butler

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback.
83 Posts
Well I am one of the fools who has tried one. I have had mine in for a couple of years now and put on 24000 kms and the results I have found is snappier throttle, better economy. It may feel like it has more power but I doubt it, its more that you feel the increase of throttle responce so it gets into the power band much quicker. What it generally does it leans the engine out a bit where from the factory it is set to have "x" amount of fuel at any given time compensating for air tempurature. Once you install the "resistor core" you are telling it to input less fuel, there for the engine has less to chew on.

I have not seen any damage so far in using this item in the car, but theory's are to be believed that because of the less fuel coming into the combustion chambers it is more likely to have less cooling efficiency on the cylinders. I have done an engine tear down after using it for 20000 kms and the pistons seem fine. most people are to believe that with less fuel there can be early detonation and possible damage is burning of the top of the pistons. I will pull it apart in another 20000 and see what I see then.

In the end.. Is it worth it? I dont know for the $18 I paid for it on ebay it gives me the same throttle responce as compared to a $70+ lightened crank pulley.

You decide.

Jason.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.