Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
BTW, this thing connects to the air intake temperature sensor. I think all it does is trick it into thinking the air is colder, which will increase timing up to around 3deg. The ecu only increases timing there because it is less likely to knock at cold temps, so it can work more efficiently and make more power. When you add 3deg of timing across the board, you are begging for knock. This is just a theory since they would probably never tell what it is actually doing.

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
The chips are just dangerous. The drop in filters simply throw off the maf scaling a little bit. The afe filter that I used that induced knock was when I was in S Fl using 93. I assume it would only be worse with the 92 we have here. It's crazy to drop $69 for a bad mod that will not give you gains when you have an engine that is ridiculously de-tuned stock. IOW, you'd have MUCH better results with just a tune. If you decide to go with one of those panel filters, just make sure you buy a vag-com cable for logging and make sure there's no knock above 1.0 load during a few 3rd gear pulls from 2k-redline. Many have seen the same results that I have, so it's just not a good idea.

On an engine that likes to blow ringlands, it's best to do things right. There's also no excuse when there is free logging software to check things over.

And $69 for a <$1 resistor is in no way a good deal.

·
Registered
05 OBXT 5eat stg1.2
2,104 Posts
Very simple. They can easily spread misinformation to sell their products. It works for many vehicle owners because most people don't know how their ecu's work and don't have the ability to find out. I'd bet the chips are harmless on the n/a 2.5 and will give zero benefit. But on a turbo 2.5, it would likely be very dangerous.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.