Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2007 2.5i outback
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not satisfied with the performance of my 07 2.5i and am considering a chip.
What are peoples experience with these and does anyone have recommendation?
Are their other upgrades that need to accompany this to get the most out of it i.e. air filter, exhaust etc??
Thanks!!

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,428 Posts
Most chips are just junk.

It is not easy to get more horsepower out of a non turbo H4 without spending a lot of cash.

Best performance mods are handling related. Tires, brakes, antiswaybars, and so forth.

If you want anything related to computer upgrades, I recommend Cobb Accessport.

·
Registered
07 Outback Limited
125 Posts
Also be aware that most performance chips really only help at the upper end of the RPM range...........you will see virtually no improvement unless you have your foot to the floor.

·
Registered
'08 OB 2.5i MT
257 Posts
Just adding to the chorus - chipping a non-turbo engine like the 2.5i is not worth the bandwidth on this forum. Spend your mod $ on handling and engine tweaks like the lightened pulley I have ;)

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i 5MT
384 Posts
Lightened crank pulley & a cold air intake are the best bang for the buck. If that doesn't cut the mustard, then trade it in and get an XT. It'll be cheaper and less frustrating than trying to milk power out of the NA engine.

Speaking of pulleys... anyone have a lightweight crank pulley on a PZEV engine? I've been hesitant to putz with the PZEV beyond throwing in a K&N air filter but love what the pulley did for my Forester and would like the same on the Outback.

·
Registered
2004 Outback 2.5, Orange/Copper /Red colour
19 Posts
Yet another voice to the chorus. I added a K&N filter, synthetic oil, fresh plugs, and wires to my '03. While it didn't add any power it did add to the responsivness past 2500 RPM. Unfortunatly these engines seem to have to be at full boil or near full boil to get any zoom out of them.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5
47 Posts
I would do 228R cam, Long tube headers, TrickFlow 215 heads, 3.70 gears, Fast 92 Intake.
Or

A nice Procharger setup.

Sorry, I got my car sites mixed up. I thought I was on LS1Tech.:D

I hope I didn`t recommend a set of Triple Treads for the drag strip on that site.:22:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would do 228R cam, Long tube headers, TrickFlow 215 heads, 3.70 gears, Fast 92 Intake.
Or

A nice Procharger setup.

Sorry, I got my car sites mixed up. I thought I was on LS1Tech.:D

I hope I didn`t recommend a set of Triple Treads for the drag strip on that site.:22:
OMG!!! That is soooo funny!!!! The way my screen was scrolled, I could only see the first part of your post. I just bought my first Subie yesterday, hence my presence on this forum.

So, I read the first part of your post, and I'm thinking, "That sounds like what I'd do to my LS1 Trans Am! I can't believe Trickflow and FAST make parts for these things! How cool! I wonder if those longtubes are made by FLP?".....Then I scrolled down as those thoughts were going through my head.:17:

Oh, I no longer have the T/A. Man, I miss my LS1.:(

Thanks for the laugh out loud.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5
47 Posts
Just having a little fun! I knew most people here would be scratching their head on that one, it`s good to see somebody from the F-Body /LS1 crowd.

A few pic`s of my car to bring back some memories for ya.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4-cylinder NA 5-speed MT with almost 130k miles on it, of which about 100 are mine; the rest come from the prior owner. Trying to come up with a name for the car.
19 Posts
Most chips are just junk.

It is not easy to get more horsepower out of a non turbo H4 without spending a lot of cash.

Best performance mods are handling related. Tires, brakes, antiswaybars, and so forth.

If you want anything related to computer upgrades, I recommend Cobb Accessport.
Lovely. So what I'm hearing is, "Sorry, but you're stuck with an underpowered four-banger; the best you hope to do is make it turn tighter and stop faster, but you won't get much more speed out of it"?

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,412 Posts
Lovely. So what I'm hearing is, "Sorry, but you're stuck with an underpowered four-banger; the best you hope to do is make it turn tighter and stop faster, but you won't get much more speed out of it"?
Yep ...

That's what you are hearing here. You can make it louder, handle better, stop better ... But you can't really make it any faster.

Unless you turbo or supercharge it. Them's the breaks my friend.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,428 Posts
It's like the laws of physics are still in effect or something.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i 4-cylinder NA 5-speed MT with almost 130k miles on it, of which about 100 are mine; the rest come from the prior owner. Trying to come up with a name for the car.
19 Posts
Yep ...

That's what you are hearing here. You can make it louder, handle better, stop better ... But you can't really make it any faster.

Unless you turbo or supercharge it. Them's the breaks my friend.
I had no idea I would be so limited as far as what I could do to it. concerning turbos in general, I was told "If the car didn't have one originally, DON'T PUT ONE ON IT!!!" (complete with finger poke for emphasis). And a supercharger would probably cost at LEAST as much as what I payed for my OB ($5K), so that's definitely out. FML. Meanwhile a friend was telling me, "Oh, you could drop in an STi engine blah blah headers blah blah!" I told him, "First off, I don't think an STi engine is compatible with my vehicle; second, even if it was, I would probably have to supe up my driveline and transmission to cope with the power increase. Third, money. That's completely out of my scope."
I dunno, I mainly bought the OB to learn stick, and because it had AWD. I hoped I could modify it, but I guess that's out.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,412 Posts
II noticed that almost nobody on the forum owns an '05-'09 with the H4. Now I'm starting to see why that is.
That has more to do with the forum demographic than it does the car. The majority of members have new cars. Gen4 and Gen5. My cars are 13-14 years old. I sourced a used Subaru for a specific purpose, same as you did. I sourced the H4, with a turbo, twice for the same reason.

Wanting a manual AWD doesn't leave you with too many choices in the car world. Especially if you are spending less than 10K. I think you made a good choice. You would do best to keep it with good maintenance, tighten up the suspension and enjoy it.

BTW, the car can be "tuned", which is NOT bunk like the chips. There are tuned 2.5NA cars here. Tuning will still cost you $300 or so plus a cable. But, the throttle mapping and drivabilty of the car can be modified. Just not the cheap chip way.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,428 Posts
No one owns an H4? Are you high?

That was the majority of vehicles produced.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You revived a 7+-year-old thread to be surprised that a 4-cylinder NA motor couldn't make much power?
Bro, I'm new to owning my own vehicle, and, as has been made painfully obvious, I know next to nothing about cars, mechanics, etc. I need all the info I can get, so while I'm not entirely surprised that there's not much power to be had, I AM surprised that given the vast realm of car modification culture, there's so little that can be done for my specific model and year of vehicle. It has been a royal PIA finding replacement parts AT ALL. And I'm looking for other specific things, so that's why I revived a 7-year-old thread.

And now you know the rest of the story. My apologies for coming across a little bit testy.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,601 Posts
I had no idea I would be so limited as far as what I could do to it. concerning turbos in general, I was told "If the car didn't have one originally, DON'T PUT ONE ON IT!!!" (complete with finger poke for emphasis). And a supercharger would probably cost at LEAST as much as what I payed for my OB ($5K), so that's definitely out. FML. Meanwhile a friend was telling me, "Oh, you could drop in an STi engine blah blah headers blah blah!" I told him, "First off, I don't think an STi engine is compatible with my vehicle; second, even if it was, I would probably have to supe up my driveline and transmission to cope with the power increase. Third, money. That's completely out of my scope."
I dunno, I mainly bought the OB to learn stick, and because it had AWD. I hoped I could modify it, but I guess that's out. I noticed that almost nobody on the forum owns an '05-'09 with the H4. Now I'm starting to see why that is.
these questions get asked again and again and again. year after year month after month.

the only response you will get are jokes. (plenty threads, just start searching,...same responses, some humorous.).

short of buying a H6 or a turbo car, and ditch the one you got. someone will love it for exactly what it is.

H6 come in automatic only, turbos crap out along side the road even if owned or cared for by experienced mechanics.
_________

but on chips, I got a chip right now and love it. I had to get creative as chips are not a typical subaru thing.

they are a a good, safe, and cheap option,

I put one of these on top of the engine. I have no data, but I know it goes faster.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.