Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited in Seamist Green!!
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, gang!

Has anyone on the list had any experience with any performance-enhancing Engine Chip? Before I consider plunking down some $$, I'd like some suggestions.

Thanks,

Sandy Gerli

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,449 Posts
99.9% of them are junk.

You may see if COBB still makes an Accessport tuner for that era car if you want to upgrade the computer system of the car.

Realistically, the car has more cost effective improvement potential in the handling area than the horsepower area. Tires, brakes, anti-swaybars, etc.

·
Registered
'18 3.6R Ltd
731 Posts
Um ... unless there's evidence that the discussion involves one of the Subarus with a turbocharger, there's no point in talking about an AccessPort.

But the junk comment hits the nail squarely on the head. HPH

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,449 Posts
Dr.Cloud,

Totally correct. I thought at one point they had a tuner for the non-turbo engines but cannot find any information for it. I stand corrected.

So, no there is not any engine management material I am aware of being worth the cost.

·
Registered
2000 Outback
62 Posts
Any kind of chip or ECU flash program is pretty useless on any N/A car. At the most, you would be able to get rid of the rev limiter and maybe get 3-4 horses out of it. I speak from VW experience.

·
Registered
DIY-Turbo 2.2l OBS 12.89s 1/4mile @ 106.17MPH
399 Posts
There is an accessport for the newer N/A Subarus ('05-'08)

Folks have been playing with piggybacks on N/A Subarus for years - look @ some of the High CR, cammed, N/A builds on rs25.com

I personally think that a N/A build (above & beyond basic bolt-ons) can get get very expensive for relatively small power gains if you do not get good deals on the parts.
BUT
I picked up an OBX EL-Header + A drop in K&N + A ganzflow intake pipe from a guy who sold their 2.5RS & bought a WRX for just $200 shipped!

I Then fabbed a mandrel bent resonated midpipe to connect to a brand new Prodrive BH5 N/A specific muffler that I got CHEAP from a friend & slapped everything on my 2000 Legacy Brighton Wagon (EJ252) 0-60MPH times dropped from 9.67s stock to 8.05s with the mods (STOCK ECU) on my G-tech PRO, not a dragster but way quicker than stock...

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi
850 Posts
Just like the old joke about certain nationalities giving directions "I wouldn't start from here", a non-turbo Subaru isn't a good place to start increasing power when a turbo transplant is much easier and much more cost effective.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.