Subaru Outback Forums banner

Performance Chips?

8K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  skyphix 
#1 ·
Hi I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about performance chips for a 2003 Outback Wagon, and if anybody knew who made them.
Thanks alot, Will

#3 ·
There is now a 1996-2006 Subaru Outback Performance Chip/Module on Ebay by Street Tech.
I'm hoping it does what it claims and is an easy install, like the one I put in my Explorer. This one claims up to 35HP increase... :9:
Has anyone strapped one in/success/results/dyno'd?

#4 ·
you put one of those in your explorer ? any noticable gains ? i'm guessing you have to run super, correct ?

let me know how that works out for you and if it's an easily installed/removed item.

looks like it's an inline piggy back system that needs to be soldered in and intercepts and modifies a signal after the ecu.

i guess in theory, you could use a switch to bypass it. wondering if these kick off any mil lights .

#6 ·
ETC said:
you put one of those in your explorer ? any noticable gains ? i'm guessing you have to run super, correct ? let me know how that works out for you and if it's an easily installed/removed item.
I had a Diablo chip which allowed me to run economy or performance with the flick of a switch. I didnt get a chance to dyno it but yes, there was a noticeable gain for sure. It was programmed to run with super, but if you werent going to do anything where you needed the performance, you could run the lower stuff for a bit. I ran super most of the time anyhow, so it wasn't an issue and afforded me the luxury to take advantage of the chip when I wanted.
Also, after I got used to it and the fun wore off a lil (read: me not jumping on the accelerator as often), I believe it affected/improved my MPG slightly as well, as much as it could with 31" AT tires, kayak rack, etc. I didnt buy/set up a 4x4 for MPG naturally. :D I took it offroad, played in the snow, woods, etc. Good times. good times.

bheinz57 posted:
There are no gains for a 2.5 N/A out there besides the Perfect Power 6 which is very minmal.
Mine is a 3.0L, you still standing with that? I'll have to verify satisfaction guaranteed I guess but they specifically ask for your make/model/engine size, presumably they arent blowing smoke... ?

#7 ·
One of the only things you are going to get out there is an alleged chip that fools sensors on the engine to run it rich like it is cold. Normally the coolant temp sensor.

I have researched things like this for extra N/A power, and a 'chip' is nothing I would consider for any amount of money.

Once you get an intake, cams, exhaust...Then maybe get the Perfect Power and try and manage things better. But there are no miracle chips for Subaru's 2.5 liter.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.