Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, New user, Soob Lover.

I am looking for suggestions/information on performance chips. I'd like to boost horsepower, second only to improved MPG. I have read a lot about different options and am getting mixed opinions.

I want something that does not spoil warrantee, does not fry anything else and is proven to increase performance.

Any and all comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would not waste money on any chip. It takes more than a chip to give you HP ,leading to the fact most chips are designed to be in conjuction with exhaust upgrades, intake changes and more headers. Just a chip alone will make no noticeable changes since everything on your Subaru will remain stock. Its really a waste of money and more to having the ecu flashed.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Hello All, New user, Soob Lover.

I am looking for suggestions/information on performance chips. I'd like to boost horsepower, second only to improved MPG. I have read a lot about different options and am getting mixed opinions.

I want something that does not spoil warrantee, does not fry anything else and is proven to increase performance.

Any and all comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Hide your wallet and run. Check here:http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/46736-pcm-chip-helpful.html

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
You can't really mod your engine for more power and stuff without voiding the warranty. Save your money. Chips are snake oil.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,324 Posts
No.

No no no no no no no.

They don't work. Please don't waste your money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info guys, sounds like I should not bother. Determined to try and increase my MPG tho'! I know the main way to do so is to have a lighter foot! What do you think of K&N filters without upgrading exhaust systems? What do you think of Running Synthetic Oil?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,485 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys, sounds like I should not bother. Determined to try and increase my MPG tho'! I know the main way to do so is to have a lighter foot! What do you think of K&N filters without upgrading exhaust systems? What do you think of Running Synthetic Oil?
There are programming options available. There are lots of people that reprogram the maps in the ECM, fuel, timing, knock control, etc., for better fuel economy as well as an increase in power. With the second map change on mine before the SC install, the fuel mileage went up 3 mpg and low end torque was increased. Ed at XRT does good work and works solely on Subaru mapping.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,443 Posts
Nobody ever got a K&N to pay for itself in a Subaru. Too many problems with oil fouling on the MAF, and in my opinion the extra airflow comes at the expense of cleanliness. The engine will last longer with the stock panel filter.

Synthetic oil is likely to give you a very small MPG boost. Not likely detectable within a single tankful. Tough to say whether it would save money given the cost of synthetic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts