Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
MY2016 3.6R
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi tire gurus,

other than the looks - is there any reason why or why not I could or should not “downgrade” from 18” OEM to 17” stock size A/T's on my Gen 5 H6?

There are plenty of used or cheap-ish take-off OE 17” in the internet of things market, and my thought is to simply get some of those and throw some 225/65/17 on there and good - no need to deal with tire diameter/speedometer adjustment or fitting issues etc.

In my theoretical world, with the higher sidewall I should get a more “swampy” curve feel and more “cushioning” off road, right? Anything else outside tire weight, acceleration and gas mileage?

If deep sand is not a criteria, should I even bother looking at smaller offset rims and 235’s tires etc.? Still seems that 235’s are really popular here, but for mud/snow a small footprint should be better in my understanding anyways...? Any particular reason for the 235/245 trend outside deep sand driving and badass looks?

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,215 Posts
Larger wheels means LESS rubber between the wheel and road. (The overall diameter is the same)
On some vehicles (perhaps not Subaru) larger wheels are installed to make room for larger diameter brake rotors.

In general, the reduced rubber between wheel/road means that the sidewall is stiffer to help protect the wheels from potholes. This makes the vehicle ride 'firmer' and rougher. Also, even with the stiffer sidewalls, there is FAR more possibility to damage wheels over potholes or the occasional curb.

--In a nutshell--
LARGER wheels: Make the handling more precise due to less sidewall flex and higher possibility of wheel damage.
SMALLER wheels: The increased rubber provides a softer ride and more protection for the wheels.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts