Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there options for performance in these 2.5L engines? I have a 2013 Outback 2.5L with CVT and have recently begun to miss the "get up and go" capabilities of my previous vehicles.

I opted for this Outback for practicality and was hoping that I would eventually also have a "fun car." That dream...remains a dream so I am hoping that there are some options for these Gen4 Outbacks.

Please help!!!!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,308 Posts

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
A XRT tune can help some.

Nothing is going to change the fact you have a 3600lb wagon with 170HP and a CVT.

Get up and go is not really what Outback wagons are designed for.

Reactions: traildogck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as I am not as knowledgeable about the engine names [yet] - I'm assuming that there is little to no performance items for the 2.5L but some availabilities for performance in the 3.6L version?

Thanks for the info. This is helpful as I start to contemplate what to do moving forward.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,308 Posts
as I am not as knowledgeable about the engine names [yet] - I'm assuming that there is little to no performance items for the 2.5L but some availabilities for performance in the 3.6L version?

Thanks for the info. This is helpful as I start to contemplate what to do moving forward.
what you have is a FB25B with 173hp and 174torque

when what you wanted was the EZ36D with more then 256hp, and 247torque. (and plenty of your colorado neighbors have the bigger engine for the high altitude).

read all about it here:
Subaru 2013 Outback research webpage- specs, options, colors, photos, and more

·
12,306 Posts
No real performance items for either. Small market share, utilitarian vehicles. H6 is more power but not fast unless you are used to old and slow.

For reference I have a 2003 2.5 with 165HP/165torque and a 2002 3.0 with 212HP/210torque. Both 4 speed autos. Neither are fast. The H6 is still in the 9 second 0-60 range. I was coming from a 1997 V8 Thunderbird with 210HP/280torque and a 4 speed auto. It felt faster cause torque but was still in the 8 second 0-60 range.

You can make the car more fun to drive by:
Making sure everything is in good running order.
Better tires.
Improve suspension.

I'd rather drive a slow car fast and have fun with it than try (and fail) to make a slow car into a fast one that is still reliable and utilitarian.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Concur - I like what some of the other posts are talking about re: driveability - seems that with some of the CVT tuning, the driveability may improve?

No real performance items for either. Small market share, utilitarian vehicles. H6 is more power but not fast unless you are used to old and slow.

For reference I have a 2003 2.5 with 165HP/165torque and a 2002 3.0 with 212HP/210torque. Both 4 speed autos. Neither are fast. The H6 is still in the 9 second 0-60 range. I was coming from a 1997 V8 Thunderbird with 210HP/280torque and a 4 speed auto. It felt faster cause torque but was still in the 8 second 0-60 range.

You can make the car more fun to drive by:
Making sure everything is in good running order.
Better tires.
Improve suspension.

I'd rather drive a slow car fast and have fun with it than try (and fail) to make a slow car into a fast one that is still reliable and utilitarian.

·
12,306 Posts
Look at the XRT threads here on the forum, you'll see what Ed can do.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Limited CVT
19 Posts
Look at the XRT threads here on the forum, you'll see what Ed can do.
Hmm...I'm going to have to check this out. I am also looking for a little extra power. Not looking into building a race car or anything like that but a little extra get up off the line at stop lights would be nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts