Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

thinking of pulling a trigger on the Perrin Steering Dampener Lockdown. I am trying to confirm fitment of that part on my 2008 Outback XT. Website only has listed 2005 Outback XT as "yes it fits." I spoke with Perrin peeps and they can't confirm fitment on 2008. Visually it looks like it will fit based on pictures on Perrin's website. So couple questions:

1. Did anyone install that part on their 2008 OBXT?
2. Looking here it appears that 2008XT and 2005XT use the same U-joint coupling - part number (34170AG041) - so if it fits 05XT should fit 08XT. Logic seems solid and leads me to believe it will fit. Or am I missing something here?

Thanks and Cheers,
Marcinho

·
Registered
2009 Outback XT (5MT)
62 Posts
Please update if you learn anything. I'm picking up an 09 soon and this looks like something I would want to do as well.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just could not resist; I just ordered. Once on the car I will send an update but like i said before based on facts above I think it will be fine. I also got actual confirmation from 08OBXT owner on the FB group I am a member of that it does fit his car. :)

·
Registered
2009 3.0R Outback
498 Posts
I installed this knock-off on my 2011 Legacy...

The seller accepted my BIN offer of $40. Came with a decent size bottle of thread locker too.

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
484 Posts
I wonder if this might solve the intermittent shimmy in the steering wheel a few of us on legacygt.com have been putting up with.

At around 68mph we get a shimmy that feels like tire balance. It's not. different set's of wheels and tires do the same thing. We have tried rotating the wheels, it's still there. replaced a bunch of suspension pieces,two different shops doing alignments, its still there. Sometimes. My wagon even has a new steering rack.

Recently now that its hotter outside, the shimmy seems to be much less. My DD to work is about 30 miles on the highway, one way, on four different highways, different pavements types.

·
Registered
Outback 2.0XT, Audi TTq, Ducati M750
312 Posts
Having screwed around with and failed at using the shorter GR STi steeing linkage, the only way you get one to work is to:

1 - use the lower extended section of the OEM Outback link attached to the lower universal joint of the STi part, I tried this but couldn't get the u-joint apart (and worried it'd come apart while driving even if I could)
2 - raise the steering rack itself using some spacers and a tweaked OEM bracket, never tried it but seems like it could work, then you'd just install the OEM STi linkage

The issue is that the subframe is spacered about an inch farther away from the unibody than on the Legacy for the lift, which is exactly how much longer the Outback linkage is, so a simple kit for raising the rack would be great. Not sure about spacing, that'd be the biggest issue.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,510 Posts
Having screwed around with and failed at using the shorter GR STi steeing linkage, the only way you get one to work is to:

1 - use the lower extended section of the OEM Outback link attached to the lower universal joint of the STi part, I tried this but couldn't get the u-joint apart (and worried it'd come apart while driving even if I could)
2 - raise the steering rack itself using some spacers and a tweaked OEM bracket, never tried it but seems like it could work, then you'd just install the OEM STi linkage

The issue is that the subframe is spacered about an inch farther away from the unibody than on the Legacy for the lift, which is exactly how much longer the Outback linkage is, so a simple kit for raising the rack would be great. Not sure about spacing, that'd be the biggest issue.
Raising the rack would also throw-off the steering geometry (increasing bump-steer).

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
484 Posts
FWIW, Update on what I did, for my Legacy GT, I bought a used STI solid steering joint off ebay for $45.00. Some of the members on the legacyGT forum have installed them. 2008-2020 STI fits into the Legacy GT's.

It may be a few weeks before I get around to installing it.

There is also another collar style product out there for a few dollars less then the Perrin.

·
Registered
2009 Outback XT (5MT)
62 Posts
I bought the ebay knockoff version (whichever vendor has his listing set to automatically accept a $40 offer) a couple weeks ago. Installed it today. Fits just as expected. Worth the $. The only downside to the knockoff was it didn't come with threadlocker (I had some) and I don't believe the manufacturer understood why multiple bolts are supposed to come with the kit. They sent 3 bolts all the same length.... all which were long enough to get it installed at least... then I broke out the dremel and shortened one up by about 1/2" so it wouldn't stick out and catch a nearby hose. All in all the extra effort was less than the difference in cost, and the result is the same.

·
Registered
2009 3.0R Outback
498 Posts
I bought the ebay knockoff version (whichever vendor has his listing set to automatically accept a $40 offer) a couple weeks ago. Installed it today. Fits just as expected. Worth the $. The only downside to the knockoff was it didn't come with threadlocker (I had some) and I don't believe the manufacturer understood why multiple bolts are supposed to come with the kit. They sent 3 bolts all the same length.... all which were long enough to get it installed at least... then I broke out the dremel and shortened one up by about 1/2" so it wouldn't stick out and catch a nearby hose. All in all the extra effort was less than the difference in cost, and the result is the same.
Was it the listing I posted? Mine came with the two different length bolts and a generous bottle of threadlocker. :confused:

·
Registered
2009 Outback XT (5MT)
62 Posts
Was it the listing I posted? Mine came with the two different length bolts and a generous bottle of threadlocker. :confused:
Yup, same listing. I got the lockdown parts, 3x long bolts and an Allen key. No thread locker. YMMV?

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,510 Posts
Wouldn't installing the Whiteline Roll Centre/Bump Steer Correction Kit (KCA313) solve any issues regarding suspension geometry?
The roll-center kit actually lowers the outer tie rods in relation to the knuckle, so that would further exacerbate the issue. Ideally, you'd want to flip the tie rod end so it can come from the top-down, but the taper of the knuckle hole won't allow that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts