Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would share something that happened Subaru has no clue about as to what caused it or how to fix it. Only after I went to the dealership to stop the annoying recall notices about the needed software upgrade did I start to get this notice the My Subaru app and on Infotainment screen. I upgraded the software myself (Thanks @chvvkumar) I was also getting a mini notice when you pull down your (android) phone screen, those ones at the top, it was saying the "The starlink light is on in your vehicle...." even when the car was off. I would open the my Subaru app and oddly nothing was there. Well sometimes this was there. So after a SOA call they found could see the message time but nothing about me required to "do anything". This became annoying so I began to dig around the settings menu and what did I find? "DELETE STARLINK DATA AND PERFORM RECOVERY" or something close to that. Well now why they put that there I wondered? So no harm doing that, as someone who works with various software for a living, I knew it was intended for something they knew to get corrupt in the connection between your car and that system.

Honestly I am too lazy to RTFM on these types of things so it might even be in there, I press the menu option to engage it and then I noticed the starlink light came back red after a couple restarts so I uninstalled the starlink app from my phone and unpaired my phone from the car and repaired them in bluetooth, reinstalled app, issue resolved.

Whether we like it or not we will have to get cozy with the idea, software rules the world, but I would still buy a 100% non computerized restored Defender or Scout if I had the cash.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,676 Posts
...My Subaru app and on Infotainment screen. I upgraded the software myself (Thanks @chvvkumar) I was also getting a mini notice when you pull down your (android) phone screen, those ones at the top, it was saying the "The starlink light is on in your vehicle...." even when the car was off. I would open the my Subaru app and oddly nothing was there. Well sometimes this was there. So after a SOA call they found could see the message time but nothing about me required to "do anything". This became annoying so I began to dig around the settings menu and what did I find? "DELETE STARLINK DATA AND PERFORM RECOVERY"
I can't find "delete starlink data and perform recovery" in the settings menu of the MySubaru app on Android. Can you be more explicit about where this setting is? On mine the only thing in "settings" is face/fingerprint unlock

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So.....its baaaaaaaacccccccckkkkkkkk............ ugh, so this IS what is considered software bug. Do I care to waste my precious time and go into the dealership and have them tell me we dont know whats causing it? No. If I simply wait till the next time I start my car and the apps sync it goes away for sometime. Your experience may vary. Could I be the only OB owner in the country having this issue?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,676 Posts
Just out of curiosity do you have the auto-stop eliminator installed? Yours is the only one that seems to have this particular issue and just wanting to rule out third party equipment causing it. I do have the eliminator and have not had any starlink issues.

Another possibility is that it's the AT&T cell tower in your area that is the cause of the problem and starlink expects continuous connection? I remember something about someone needing to have their car reprovisioned or something but I can't remember if that was for the hotspot or starlink, both of which use AT&T cell towers.

·
Registered
10,077 Posts
well, starlink and the data control module were around before there was an app on a smartphone. The indicator lights for starlink have a meaning.

what did the dealer say when you took the car in to have a look at the issue?

Yours should be the green LED lit. Anything else indicates a problem. Either hardware with the data control module, or a communications issue. example shown here:

The dealer can do diagnostics... as a test, you could press and hold the "i" button and ask the starlink operator who answers to verify the location and VIN of your vehicle- that you are trying to test the system. If the lights are in condition 3 or 4 above, you can tell them that too.

the dealer can sample data using subaru select monitor... there are specific things to monitor for the telematics system. They can monitor that, look at the sampled data, see if anything shows up. There are also specific diagnostic trouble codes for the data control module. The app isn't going to help diagnose any of this though.

The system also stores a log of the last auto collision notification/i-call button communication.... or they can make a call and look at the data. Helps troubleshoot issues.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just out of curiosity do you have the auto-stop eliminator installed? Yours is the only one that seems to have this particular issue and just wanting to rule out third party equipment causing it. I do have the eliminator and have not had any starlink issues.

Another possibility is that it's the AT&T cell tower in your area that is the cause of the problem and starlink expects continuous connection? I remember something about someone needing to have their car reprovisioned or something but I can't remember if that was for the hotspot or starlink, both of which use AT&T cell towers.
No I dont have that installed...is there a way to change the title of this thead now to unresolved?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, starlink and the data control module were around before there was an app on a smartphone. The indicator lights for starlink have a meaning.

what did the dealer say when you took the car in to have a look at the issue?

Yours should be the green LED lit. Anything else indicates a problem. Either hardware with the data control module, or a communications issue. example shown here:

View attachment 517893

The dealer can do diagnostics... as a test, you could press and hold the "i" button and ask the starlink operator who answers to verify the location and VIN of your vehicle- that you are trying to test the system. If the lights are in condition 3 or 4 above, you can tell them that too.

the dealer can sample data using subaru select monitor... there are specific things to monitor for the telematics system. They can monitor that, look at the sampled data, see if anything shows up. There are also specific diagnostic trouble codes for the data control module. The app isn't going to help diagnose any of this though.

View attachment 517894

The system also stores a log of the last auto collision notification/i-call button communication.... or they can make a call and look at the data. Helps troubleshoot issues.

View attachment 517895

This is the madness, its always been green

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,676 Posts
I have been able to edit the titles of my original posts - edit your first post and I think you can edit the title.

Reactions: teamdrop and walker

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
would be nice to know what status it was before it changed back (if it was intermittent)... shame the alert doesn't give you that information.
It wasnt intermittent after I did the deleted starlink data and recovery / unpair/repair phone, it was absolutely quiet (10 days-ish) until this last reemergence

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
333 Posts
I just got the Starlink warning on my phone today, so you are not alone.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
333 Posts
Car is back to normal status. I took no action. Was given error warning after parking in garage. Switched back to normal the next time the car started.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts