Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow subaru-ers,
Hello outback forum! Glad to be a part of the community!
So heres the situation. My subie is burning oil. I do not believe it is burning oil in the engine, because there is no ash on my old plugs. The car is burning oil externally. Whenever it gets driven, it smokes (like, from under the hood). I have had several mechanics look at this and SUPRISE they cannot find the problem. Just wondering if any of you other outbackers have had a similar issue. I am confident its not a head gasket, because the car is still running!!
Thanks,
-Jon

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,327 Posts
You left out some important info.

Vehicle?
Engine?
Miles?
Service history?
How much oil usage?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shoot! My bad.
2003 Outback Wagon, 5speed manual
2.5 flat 4
Oil usage: a quart every other tank or so

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,137 Posts
has the PCV valve ever been changed?

try swinging by the diy car wash and thoroughly cleaning the engine bay/underside of engine, then go home and park over some clean cardboard. inspect carefully and you may be able to see some drips or traces of oil somewhere.

·
Registered
01 obw 2.5 5 speed
117 Posts
sometimes the plastic "skid" plate catches the oil that is leak... if you remove it you might see if you are leaking...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the quotes around "skid" plate...plastic. I have no record of replacing the pcv valve, so I'm going to. It's like a 10 dollar part. Throws a code every now and then, gonna get that checked too. Seems like the smoke is burnin off of the exhaust headers down by the trans, if that is any help. Will do the cardboard but here soon.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i 5sp Manual
354 Posts
Could possibly be the separator plate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts