Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys.

Wanted to adjust the brake band on my 99 wagon because of all the 4-2 downshifts I get. However I couldn't find the adjustment screw. I looked all over the tranny. The picture in my Haynes manual shows it on the top of the tranny, near or under the firewall. Did the Phase II 4eat's come without being able to make this adjustment?

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Can't make that adjustment because there isn't one.

Phase II 4EAT description (changes relative to Phase I):

"Internally the Brake Band and Servo
Mechanism have been deleted and in its place
an additional clutch pack is used as a holding
member for second and fourth gear."

(Subaru, Technicians Reference Booklet, 4EAT Phase II, Module 304)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool thanks. So if a problem that could normally be fixed by a brake band adjustment, now would mean a possible clutch pack problem?

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Probably depends on the problem/symptom.

Brake band adjustment compensates for wear and the inability of the band to provide full braking of the planetary gear drum.

Wear of a brake clutch pack plates is rare -- one reason why the change was made. A weak seal on the clutch piston could cause delays, or lack of lock-up, or a malfunctioning shift solenoid or accumulator could lead to a lack of "braking" similar to a brake band that isn't clamping down sufficiently. If this happens, and a multiple change of ATF doesn't help, it does mean some more complicated repair work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
plain OM
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing